Explore solar systems, galaxies, black holes and stars in this online course.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
What will I learn in the astronomy online course?
In this online astronomy course, you will explore the universe around you from the smallest to the largest scale. You will learn about the:
- solar system
- stellar evolution
- black holes
- big bang cosmology
- accelerating universe
What can I expect when taking Introductory Astronomy?
The lessons in this online astronomy class involve reading the assigned chapter(s) and instructor’s notes, and then completing an assignment. You will need a calculator for some of the problems assigned.
Required materials include:
- Textbook: Learning Astronomy by Barkhouse and Young. Available as e-book from www.vitalsource.com
- Software: Stellarium can be downloaded free from www.stellarium.org. This or similar planetarium software is required for some assignments.
- Calculator: A scientific calculator will be needed for some assignments. No calculator is needed for the tests.
How will this online course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.