Child Development Online Course
This online course studies the growth and development of children from pre-birth through adolescence.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $370.08 per credit
Why take the online Childhood Development class?
T&L 252: Child Development is a study of the child's growth and development through adolescence. This course provides the framework for understanding the basic needs of the typical child, and the means for meeting those needs in the child's home and community environment. At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- describe normal development (physical/motor, social, emotional, cognitive/language) from conception through the age of 18
- examine the influence of environment and heredity on development
- discuss the idiosyncratic aspects of development
- identify characteristics of a healthy environment
- generalize how children of different ages learn
- explain how major developmental theories are used to explain and predict development
- begin to develop child observation skills
- integrate child development knowledge as a basis for making decisions regarding children
- discuss current events and policy issues related to child development
Students may take 3-9 months to complete six lessons/modules. Each lesson contains readings and videos, and several assignments related to those readings/videos. Students will utilize learning guides and quizzes to master vocabulary and key lesson concepts. There are several written assignments, with some having the option to submit a video or written reflection. Students will also research journal articles that speak to physical, cognitive, social-emotional, and language development in different stages.
The six lesson topics are:
- Introduction to Child Development and Theories
- Early Childhood
- Middle Childhood
This course does not have proctored exams.
Required Course Textbook
There is no required textbook for this course. All materials and resources are provided within the online Blackboard course, free of charge.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.