- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $355.85 per credit
Why take the online Childhood Development class?
T&L252: Child Development is a study of the child's growth and development up to adolescence. It will give you a basis for understanding the basic needs of the typical child and the means for meeting those needs in the child's home and community environment.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe normal development (physical/motor, social, emotional, cognitive/language) from conception through the age of 18 (Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium [INTASC] standard #2)
- Examine the influence of environment and heredity on development (INTASC standard #4)
- Discuss the idiosyncratic aspects of development (INTASC standard #3)
- Identify characteristics of a healthy environment (INTASC standards #4 and #5)
- Generalize how children of different ages learn (INTASC standard #2).
- Explain how major developmental theories are used to explain and predict development (INTASC standard #8)
- Begin to develop child observation skills (INTASC standard #8)
- Integrate child development knowledge as a basis for making decisions regarding children
- (INTASC standard #9)
- Discuss current events and policy issues related to child development (INTASC standard #7)
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete 13 lessons and 4 proctored exams. During the course you will complete assignments, which include readings, analysis of videos, and critiquing articles. Exams are taken after a unit is completed.
You will also observe on two separate occasions at schools, centers, or homes 2 different age groups—infants-toddlers, preschool, grades K–3 or grades 4–6. You will present UND documentation to the site authority in your request to observe the children.
Required Course Textbook
Feldman, Robert S. Child Development. 4th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2007. ISBN: 978-0-1-3173247-6. The CD with videos is included with your textbook.
How will this online course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.