The Study of Women Online Course
The Study of Women is an introduction to the study of women as subjects of scholarly inquiry, with emphasis on transnational feminism and assessments of women's contributions around the globe.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
Why take The Study of Women online?
WGS 225: The Study of Women is an introduction to the study of women as subjects of scholarly inquiry, with emphasis on transnational feminism and assessments of women's contributions around the globe. The course will provide an interdisciplinary focus on the central issues and questions posed by the new scholarship on women, introducing students to the perspectives and methodologies of a variety of disciplines. After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Make critical connections and comparisons between women’s experiences in both intranational and international contexts.
- Recognize and apply critical threshold concepts in Women and Gender Studies in a variety of contexts.
- Exercise self-reflexiveness by critically reflecting on our own personal experiences, subject positions, and views as gendered beings.
- Contextualize power by evaluating and understanding the complex forces that shape the world, particularly as they relate to women and girls around the world.
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading. This course contains 11 lessons designed to focus your study in Women and Gender Studies and to assist you in achieving the course learning objectives/outcomes. You will work through a combination of required readings, view captioned videos, and assignments in a variety of formats. The course has two main sections - Threshold Concepts and Specific Context. They are further broken down as follows:
- Threshold Concepts:
- The Social Construction of Gender
- Privilege and Oppression
- Feminist Praxis
- Specific Context:
- Families in a Global Context
- Women in the Political Sphere
- Specific Context: Women & Media
- Specific Context: Women & Science
There are no quizzes or exams.
What is required to take this online course?
- Threshold Concepts in Women’s and Gender Studies, 3rd edition, by Christie Launius and Holly Hassel, 978-0-367-48623-5
- Women Worldwide, edited by Tracy Butts, Patti Duncan, Janet Lockhart, and Susan Shaw (OER)
Other materials will be posted in the course.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.