Placement into a math course can be based on:
- Officially submitted ACT or SAT score.
- Advanced coursework: AP, IB, transfer, or dual credit. You may be placed into the appropriate math course based on the transferability of the course(s) you have taken. These actions are in accordance with the North Dakota University System (NDUS) Policy 402.1.2 – Admission Policies – Student Placement into College Courses.
- ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (PPL) assessment.
Placement based on ACT is as follows:
- ACT Math scores 0 - 20 may enroll in Math 98
- ACT Math scores 21 - 25 may enroll in Math 103, 105, 107, or 110
- ACT Math scores 26 - 36 may enroll in Math 103, 105, 107, 110, 146, or 208*
- ACT Math scores 27 - 36 may enroll in Math 103, 105, 107, 110, 146, 165, or 208*
*Math 208 is not recommended for first semester freshmen.
Placement based on SAT is as follows:
- SAT Math score of 530 or higher may enroll in Math 103, 105, 107, or 110
You can find specifics on advanced coursework here:
ALEKS PPL Assessment
If you are an incoming freshman who requires a math class during the first year at UND, you will be provided a link to take the ALEKS PPL Assessment when you make your Advisement and Registration reservation.
If you are an incoming transfer student who needs a math course in your first year at UND, your assigned academic advisor will send you a link to take the assessment.
If you do not fall into either of these categories, please contact the Math department at UND.math@UND.edu