Placement into a math course is based on your ACT or SAT score. If you have AP, IB, transfer, or dual credit, you may be placed into the appropriate math course based on the transferability of the course(s) you have taken. These actions are in accordance with the North Dakota University System (NDUS) Policy 402.1.2 – Admission Policies – Student Placement into College Courses.
Placement based on ACT per the above policy is as follows:
- ACT Math sub-scores 0-18 may enroll in Math 92 (Math 98 starting Fall 2020)
- ACT Math sub-scores 19-20 may enroll in Math 93 (Math 98 starting Fall 2020)
- ACT Math sub-scores 21-25 may enroll in Math 103, 105, or 107
- ACT Math sub-scores 26-36 may enroll in Math 103, 105, 107, 146, or 208*
- ACT Math sub-scores 27-36 may enroll in Math 103, 105, 107, 146, 165, or 208*
*Math 208 is not recommended for first semester freshmen.
A portion of Policy 402.1.2 allows for the use of SAT for placement purposes into
The current SAT scores and placement into Math 103 are as follows:
SAT Taken March 5, 2016 and Later
- SAT Math component score of 530 or higher – may enroll in Math 103
SAT Taken Prior to March 5, 2016
- SAT Critical (Reading+Math) score of less than 990 – may enroll in Math 92 (Math 98 starting Fall 2020)
- SAT Critical (Reading+Math) score of 990 or higher – may enroll in Math 103
Math Placement Exams
When students begin their Math course at UND, they will take a knowledge check which will help to indicate if they should be placed in a different level course. Please work with your Math course instructor and academic advisor to make changes to your Math course if necessary. Contact the Mathematics department at 701.777.2881 if you have questions about the placement exam.
If a student would like to challenge their placement by ACT/SAT score, UND offers the Maplesoft Algebra Placement Exam.
The MAPLESOFT ALGEBRA exam score will be used to place students into a math course if the exam indicates a higher level eligibility than that indicated by other placement scores. Placement is as follows:
- MAPLESOFT ALGEBRA exam score 0-12 - may enroll in Math 098 (Math 98 starting Fall 2020)
- MAPLESOFT ALGEBRA exam score 13 or higher - may enroll in Math 103, 105 or 107
Math Course Eligibility
Students also have the opportunity to use other math placement exam scores for math course eligibility.
Those opportunities include, but are not limited to:
|Test||Test Component||Minimum Score for Placement into Math 103||Comments|
|Accuplacer||College Level Math||50|
|Pearson (CLEM, CREAM, & Others)||Math||70%||CLEM: Includes Math units 1-16|
*For a table representing all of the exams and scores accepted please see North Dakota University System (NDUS) Policy 402.1.2 – Admission Policies – Student Placement into College Courses.
If you would like to take the math placement exam please complete the form below. Be sure to visit with your academic advisor with any questions you may have regarding which exam to take or which math course is needed for your program curriculum.
Math Challenge Exam Form
If you have been admitted to UND and choose to challenge your math placement, please complete the information in the following form.
- You will receive an email from UND.math@UND.edu with the link and access to the exam.
- Please allow 2-3 business days for processing of the exam.