Freshman New Student Transition Program
Make Your Transition to UND
Follow the steps below to make your transition to UND for fall 2021.
1. Claim Account & Confirm Your Enrollment
Let us know you're coming to UND! To confirm your enrollment for fall 2021, you must pay a $200 nonrefundable deposit. The deposit is a prepayment applied to tuition, fees or other charges on your UND bill.
You must claim your account and pay your deposit at least two business days before you'll be able to complete Step 2 of the New Student Transition process.
Claim Account Details
To gain access to many of the systems you'll need as a UND student, you must activate your student account within the ND University System (NDUS).
To claim your account:
- Go to UND.edu/claim.
- Find your student ID number (also known as your EMPLID) on your acceptance letter.
- Once you have your student ID number, click on the "Claim Your Account" link.
- Follow the steps as indicated.
Once you've claimed your account, you don't have to go through the process again.
Make sure that you keep your username and password in a safe and secure place. If
you have questions, contact the NDUS Help Desk at
1.866.457.6387 or go to helpdesk.ndus.edu.
- Required of all new freshmen who plan to enroll in classes for fall 2021.
- The $200 deposit is a down payment applied to future charges you'll incur on your UND bill (tuition, fees, etc.). It's not an additional charge.
- Nonrefundable, but may be applied to future terms if you're unable to enroll for fall 2021. Call 1.800.CALL.UND for details.
- Refer to the How to Pay Your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit document for step-by-step instructions on paying your deposit.
- If you're unable to pay the $200 deposit due to financial hardship, please contact the UND Office of Admissions at 1.800.CALL.UND or 701.777.3000. You also may pay in installments.
2. Complete New Student Transition Reservation Process
The New Student Transition Reservation system will be opening on Saturday, Jan. 23 at 9 a.m. Central time. Please allow 1 hour to complete the New Student Transition reservation process that includes the following steps:
- Completing an online Orientation Module where you’ll learn about various programs you can choose to be involved with at UND.
- Providing a complete report of your educational history, including any college-level credit you have completed or AP/CLEP exams you have taken. Be sure to report all college-level credits and exam scores so you can be accurately advised and registered. Your advisor will not have immediate access to this information unless you report it.
- Signing up to take a math placement test, if you're in one of these majors* and are planning to take a math class during your first year at UND. Take into account any college-level math courses you've already taken as well as AP exams that may waive you out of entry-level math courses.
- Selecting an online registration date. This will be the date an advisor emails you a list of recommended courses along with instructions to register for your first semester of classes at UND. Online registration dates are based on your major.* This is not an on-campus event.
*If you want to reselect/change your major, you're able to do so during the reservation process.
3. Enroll in Your First Semester of CoursesOn the registration date you selected in May, June or July, you'll receive:
- An advisement email with recommended courses.
- Instructions on how to register online for your first semester of courses.
- Contact information to connect virtually with an academic advisor for course registration assistance (if needed).
4. Attend UND Orientation Days
Orientation for incoming students will be held July 19-23, 2021. At UND Orientations Days, you'll learn what to expect during your first year at UND.
5. Attend Welcome Weekend
Welcome Weekend will be held on the UND campus from August 20-22, 2021. This event is designed to help you feel at home and acquaint you with campus and the Greater Grand Forks community.