Prepare for Life at UND

After you have been accepted to the University of North Dakota, you must start preparing for life at UND. Below are common concerns our international students have. If you have additional questions, please contact the UND International Center.

You should apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country using the Letter of Admissions and an I-20 from UND. If you have been accepted by several U.S. colleges or universities, do not apply for your F-1 student visa until you decide which institution you want to attend. Please only use the UND I-20 form to apply for a visa and enter the U.S. if you are planning to attend UND.

Living on campus is a convenient option for international students. UND offers a variety of residence halls or apartment living arrangements. Visit the Housing Office website for more information and to apply for housing.

ELS Language Centers provides intensive English language instruction at the University of North Dakota and can provide you with the English skills necessary for academic success. The ELS Intensive English Programs are structured to accelerate your learning with maximum time in the classroom.

You are encouraged to enroll in ELS if you haven't acquired the minimum TOEFL score to be admitted to UND or if you need assistance in improving your language skills. ELS programs are offered on a monthly basis. See the ELS calendar for details.

International students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the semester and up to 40 hours per week during winter/spring break and summer. Find out more about on-campus jobs.

F-1/J-1 visa students are only eligible for on-campus jobs that are non-work study. Work Study jobs are a part of the federal financial aid program.

All international students are required to pay for mandatory student health insurance upon arrival to the university. The student is automatically billed for this health insurance.

The North Dakota University System (NDUS) has renegotiated the Student Health Insurance Policy with United Healthcare. The premiums for the coming 2017-2018 Academic Year will be:

Fall: $661

Spring: $1,087

Total: $1,748

This is an approximate 30% reduction from last year's premium! This plan continues to provide excellent coverage in case you are sick or in an accident while you are in the U.S.

Please note: The process for requesting an insurance waiver is changing for 2017-2018. In order to receive a waiver, the alternative coverage must meet very specific criteria, and the coverage will be reviewed closely. Due to changes in the waiver criteria, students who received waivers in the past may no longer qualify. Once the waiver criteria are finalized, we will send that information out. In the meantime, be prepared to only qualify for a waiver if you have employer-sponsored coverage or national mandatory coverage that is considered comparable to the North Dakota University System provided insurance policy. Please note, students from Canada and Norway are still considered exempt from the insurance requirement.

Health care in the United States is expensive, and the individual is responsible for paying the medical costs. The government does not pay for it. Having health insurance protects the individual by helping pay the medical expenses if he/she should become ill or be involved in an accident. For these reasons, all international students studying in North Dakota are required by the North Dakota University System (NDUS) to purchase the North Dakota state-mandated health insurance policy.

For more information, please go to

The State of North Dakota policy requires documentation of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Documentation of immunity means:

  • Evidence of two doses of measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine no less than one month apart from a licensed physician or authorized representative of a state or local health department.
  • Proof of a positive serologic test for measles, mumps, and rubella.

All newly admitted students ages 21 and younger must also provide documentation of a meningitis vaccination given after the 16th birthday.

Students are also required to complete the TB (Tuberculosis) Screening Form.

Documentation must be provided by August 1st for Fall semester or January 1st for Spring semester, or May 1st for Summer semester.

Visit UND Student Immunization Requirements for more information and the Mandatory Immunization and TB screening Forms/Instructions.