Accountancy (M.Acc. Professional Track)
Join an international network of leaders in public accounting and business, opening doors of opportunity.
The Master of Accountancy (M.Acc.) program at the University of North Dakota is flexible, allowing you to enroll full-time or take one course at a time. Through this program you'll prepare to take the CPA exam while enhancing your professional skills.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 1 year (Full-time, on campus)
- Credit hours:
Why Earn a Master's Degree in Accounting at UND?
The Masters of Accountancy Professional Track is designed for students holding undergraduate accounting degrees. It will prepare you to sit for the CPA exam, which UND graduates consistently beat the national average.
You'll learn to deal with unstructured problems and complex decision making in accounting and business environments.
The M.Acc. Professional Track has three areas of concentrations, which allows you to customize your learning experience with specialized classes.
- Data Analytics
- Organizations & Leadership
- Public Administration
Sophomore and junior accountancy majors are encouraged to apply for either the combined B.Acc./M.Acc. program or the accelerated B.Acc./M.Acc. program, allowing you to complete both a bachelor's and master's degree in five years by double counting up to four courses between the programs.
Financial Assistance to Earn Your Master's in Accounting
The Accounting Department awards more than $140,000 in scholarships to accounting students annually. To be considered for spring scholarships apply by December 1. For fall scholarships, apply by March 1.
Apply to be a Graduate Assistant
Campus M.Acc. students who are pursuing the professional track can also apply to be a Graduate Assistant (GA). These positions allow you to work alongside faculty and staff in the college and hone your research skills and assist with teaching-related activities. GA's are compensated with a competitive stipend and/or tuition waivers. To apply, please contact:
Our AACSB International accredited College provides many types of experiential learning opportunities.
- The annual Accounting Career Fair, which includes more than 25 firms, gives you the opportunity to network with employees and recruiters from the nation's top firms. Firms typically in attendance include Deloitte & Touche LLP, Eide Bailly LLP, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), PricewaterhouseCoopers, Thrivent Financial, Wipfli LLP, etc.
- You'll also have annual opportunities to participate in accounting field trips to local and national firms in Fargo and Minneapolis. These opportunities allow you to network with employers, secure interviews for internships and eventually a career.
- While on campus you can join student organizations such as Beta Alpha Psi, DECA and Phi Beta Lambda.
- You can also volunteer time and gain experience through service learning projects such as the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
Accreditation by AACBS
The Nistler College of Business & Public Administration is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Accreditation puts the Nistler CoBPA in the top 5% of business schools in the world.
Intern with the Big 4 (PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, KPMG) or other top public accounting firms.
Attend the annual Accounting Career Fair and frequent alumni networking events.
Join Beta Alpha Psi, a popular honor society linked to many financial professionals.
Participate in regional and national accounting case competitions.
Median annual salary for accountants and auditors*
Projected job growth for accountants and auditors through 2026*
Research finds that M.Acc. graduates are more likely to be placed in many accounting positions and are more likely to be promoted within public accounting than bachelor of accounting graduates.
This program prepares you for a variety of business roles including:
- accounting managers
- budget analysts
- business owners
- chief executive officers
- chief financial officers
- forensic accountants
- partners in public accounting firms
- tax preparer
- tax consultant