Who Can Enroll?

Enroll at any time and have 9 months to complete your course.

If you are an adult learner juggling the responsibilities of family or work, independent study courses give you the flexibility you need to pursue your educational and career goals. 

You choose the pace. You choose the space. You don't need to worry about missing your child's soccer game because you need to be at a 2-hour class every Thursday night. If you're going out of town on business, you can take your exam next week...or even next month. 

Keep in mind that independent study courses have similar course content and rigor as traditional on-campus classes. Depending on your other commitments and responsibilities, we recommend that you only take one or two courses at the same time.

Employer-Provided Tuition Assistance

UND accepts company payments for employer-provided tuition assistance programs. Contact your human resource department to find out how you can qualify for tuition assistance.

Our University is proud to serve those who serve our country. Through UND Online Education, you can take advantage of convenient programs and services that fit your life as a military service member, veteran or family member. 

Learn more

As a college student, you may enroll in independent study courses at any time to fulfill general education requirements or take a class that will not fit into your schedule on campus.

Independent study courses give you the flexibility you need. However, since they are open-enrollment and do not follow the semester schedule, they do not qualify for financial aid. 

For students at another North Dakota University System (NDUS) school, please note that you are not able to enroll in independent study courses under the collaborative student model.  You would need to pay the UND admission fee as part of the registration process.

Will the credits earned at UND transfer to another school?

The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions.

Please check with your institution to verify if the course(s) will apply toward your degree.


As a high school student, you may enroll in the lower-division credit courses (i.e., 100 and 200 level). By taking college-level courses during high school or the summer after graduating, you can get a head start on your college education.

Dual Credit in North Dakota

If you live in North Dakota, you may be able to simultaneously obtain both upper-level high school course credits and college course credits through a dual-credit program adopted by the North Dakota Legislature. This law significantly increases your post-secondary enrollment options.

To determine your eligibility for dual credit or for further information on the dual credit program, please contact your school guidance counselor or principal.

To receive dual credit, you will need to:

  • Obtain approval from your school guidance counselor or principal.
  • Complete UND's online registration process by clicking on the "Register Now" button.
  • Provide a copy of your UND transcript, once a final grade has posted, to your school guidance counselor or principal.

Disability Services for Students (DSS) provides reasonable accommodations to eligible UND students, including distance students. Accommodations are individualized to address specific functional limitations resulting from a disability.

You must be an admitted UND student before applying for accommodations with Disability Services for Students. You are encouraged to apply for accommodations IMMEDIATELY after being admitted to UND and registering for distance courses in order to facilitate DSS's ability to provide accommodations in a timely manner.