Business and Economic Statistics
Our business statistics online course covers descriptive statistics, probability distributions, hypothesis testing and non-parametric statistics.
- College Algebra or Finite Mathematics or equivalent
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
Why take Introduction to Business and Economic Statistics online?
This online course provides a general introduction to probability theory and statistical concepts typically used in business contexts. The emphasis is on applications of statistical concepts to real-world problems using actual data.
You also will begin to develop an understanding of using Microsoft Excel to solve problems using real-world data. It is important to understand that this is not a class teaching Excel programming. Statistics is the subject of interest; Excel is simply a tool to help us learn the statistics and put them into practice.
Statistics is not all about business, though; it is fundamental—with emphasis on the fun!
We can look for examples from everyday life, such as sports. How likely is it that you will correctly pick the winner of all the games in the NCAA basketball tournament? The answer will tell you why so many companies will make outrageous offers of money to you if you are successful.
- What are the odds of winning the lottery?
- How likely is another space shuttle disaster?
- How do pharmaceutical companies determine whether a drug tests successfully?
Statistics gives us the ability to analyze data or use probability theory to develop reasonable answers to these and other interesting questions.
Objectives of this online course include:
- Apply methods of data collection and resolve issues.
- Present data using graphs and tables.
- Analyze data using linear regression and other techniques.
- Conduct experiments and simple simulations to demonstrate the concepts of probability.
What is required to take this online course?
Anderson, David R., Dennis J. Sweeney and Thomas A. Williams. Essentials of Modern Business Statistics with Microsoft Excel. 3rd, 4th, or 5th ed. Mason, OH : Thomson South-Western.
How long will it take to complete the Introduction to Business and Economic Statistics course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 12 Lessons
- 4 Proctored Exams
The best way to learn statistics is to practice by solving problems. The assignments help you with this by making you apply the formulae and techniques you study in the text. They will typically involve some real-world data and situations where you can apply the statistical concepts and methods from the textbook.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.