Introduction to American Indian Studies Online College Course
This Introduction to American Indian Studies online course provides concepts, methods and theories in American Indian Studies, and is designed to provide a background for further studies.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take Introduction to American Indian Studies online?
Introduction to American Indian Studies is interdisciplinary and will introduce you to a number of fields in the discipline. You will gain a general historical background of interactions between American Indian peoples and non-Natives, you will explore some aspects of pre-reservation Hidatsa culture on the Plains, you will be introduced to some of the challenges American Indian people and their communities face today, etc. Most importantly, the online course will show you how to recognize stereotypes and ethnocentrisms about American Indians and their cultures that are still prevalent today.
This introduction to the diverse historical and contemporary American Indian cultures will help to make you more aware of other diversity issues and should also be helpful to you in other classes that you will take at the University of North Dakota.
What materials are required to take this online course?
- Wilson, G. L. (1927) Waheenee: An Indian Girl’s Story. Webb Publishing Company.
- Starita, J. (2002) The Dull Kifes of Pine Ridge: A Lakota Odyssey 2nd Edition. Bison Books.
- Braun, S., Hans, B. & Christensen, G. (2017) American Indians: Historical to Contemporary Perspectives 1st Edition. Kendall Hunt Publishing.
- Views of a Vanishing Frontier (available from Amazon or request via Interlibrary Loan)
- Homeland (Purchase the film from DocuMentors or request via Interlibrary Loan)
How long will it take to complete the Introduction to American Indian Studies course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 7 Lessons, consisting of:
- writing assignments
- video and article reactions
- audio recording
- phone conversation(s)
- 0 Exams
How will the Introduction to American Indian Studies course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.