Precalculus Online College Course
Our precalculus online course covers equations and inequalities, logarithmic and trigonometric functions, and algebraic and trigonometric methods.
|MATH 107: Precalculus
|4 undergraduate credits
|MATH 93, or Math 98, or the required Math Placement Exam score
|Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
|Tuition is $384.88 per credit. Visit the Costs & Aid page regarding additional costs.
About Precalculus Online Course
As the name indicates, Math 107: Precalculus serves as a stepping-stone to the study of calculus. In fact, it will provide you with skills that are indispensable for success in calculus—algebra and trigonometry. Many calculus students do not consider calculus itself difficult. Rather, the difficult part of a calculus course often is applying one’s algebra and trigonometry skills effectively to solve calculus problems. So, for that reason, successfully completing precalculus will have a tremendous impact on you if you choose to continue your studies by taking calculus.
Because precalculus prepares you for the successful study of calculus, you will, out of necessity, be covering a large amount of material. It may be that much of that material is familiar to you from other mathematics courses you have taken. If so, then by taking this online course you will further hone your mathematical skills. If not, there is no need to worry—the textbook and the assignments are designed to take you successfully through the material. The key thing for you to do is to work hard. In fact, hard work and perseverance will likely be the two most important skills you will need in order to succeed in this course.
The reward for all of your efforts in precalculus will be a solid background in algebra and trigonometry. By itself, this will give you the ability to solve a bewildering array of practical problems. Thus, even if you do not ultimately study calculus, precalculus will provide you with many useful skills to help in making sense of the world around you. But, in addition to this, if the study of calculus is your ultimate goal, then you will have exactly the types of skills you will need to succeed once there.
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading. This course contains 45 lessons total, which includes 31 lessons presenting course material, 10 review lessons, and 4 proctored exams. The lesson topics include:
- Introduction and the Real Line
- The Coordinate Plane
- Equations and Graphs
- Using Technology to Graph Equations, and Functions
- Linear Functions
- Quadratic Functions
- Introduction and Other Common Functions
- Arithmetic Combinations of Functions
- Composition of Functions
- Inverse Functions
- Introduction to Polynomial Functions
- Finding Factors and Zeros of Polynomials
- Rational Functions
- Other Algebraic Functions
- Complex Roots of Polynomials
- Measuring Angles
- The Sine and Cosine Functions
- Graphs of the Sine and Cosine Functions
- Other Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Identities
- Right-Triangle Trigonometry
- Inverse Trigonometric Functions
- Applications of Trigonometric Functions
- Introduction to the Natural Exponential Function
- Logarithmic Functions
- Exponential Growth and Decay
- Introduction and Parabolas
- Polar Coordinates
- Parametric Equations
The course syllabus provides the course description and objectives, lesson topics, assignment information, grading criteria, and more.
What is required to take this online course?
- Faires, J. Douglas and James DeFranza. PreCalculus. 5th ed. Cengage Learning. ISBN 978-0840068620
- The Student Solutions Manual is also available with complete solutions to the odd
numbered problems in the text. This book is optional but strongly recommended:
Faires, J. Douglas and James DeFranza. Student Study Guide with Solutions for “PreCalculus” Fifth Edition. Cengage Learning. ISBN: 978-1111427368.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.