Introduction to Linear Algebra Online College Course
Our linear algebra online course studies the treatment of systems of linear equations, finite dimensional vector spaces, linear transformations, determinants, matrices, eigenvalues, eigenvectors and diagonalizability.
Course revised September 2019.
- MATH 165
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take Introduction to Linear Algebra online?
This is an introductory online course with an emphasis on computation rather than proof. For the purposes of this online course, the computations will be done by hand, which is a necessary first step in understanding how they are done.
The lessons consist of readings from the text and notes by the instructor, a set of suggested exercises from the text which are for practice and not for submission, and a problem set which is to be submitted as homework. The first two exams cover material in the preceding lessons, while the final exam covers all material presented in the course. You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete 12 Lessons and 3 proctored exams.
In this online course you will learn:
- how to solve systems of linear equations by several methods
- about the rules of arithmetic for matrices and vectors, including computing determinants and matrix inverses
- how to find an LU-factorization for certain matrices
- about the ideas of vector spaces and subspaces
- how to compute eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrices
Which textbook is required to take this online course?
Larson, Ron. (2012). Elementary Linear Algebra (7th ed). ISBN 1133110878
How will Introduction to Linear Algebra appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.