Online Abnormal Psychology College Course
UND's enroll anytime courses are offered online and are open for enrollment any day of the year. These online courses for credit are self-paced, so it's convenient for you to work on your own time and have 3 to 9 months to complete the course.
- Psyc 111: Introduction to Psychology
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take this online Abnormal Psychology course?
In contemporary abnormal psychology there are few hard and fast answers. In fact, the very way the field should be conceptualized and the kinds of questions that should be asked are hotly debated issues. In this course, you will try to examine possible answers for two primary, fundamental questions:
- What causes psychopathology or abnormal behavior?
- Which treatments are most effective in preventing or reducing psychological suffering?
You will not only examine theories and research in psychopathology, but you also will see how the field of psychopathology seeks answers to some of the most puzzling questions facing humankind.
Two important aspects of this course that bear mentioning are the use of a scientific clinical approach to understanding psychopathology and the use of paradigms as an organizing principle.
First, a scientific clinical approach to examine psychopathology emphasizes the importance of science in gathering information and interpreting data pertaining to the etiology, symptoms, and treatments of various psychopathologies, but it also recognizes the often uncontrollable nature of the subject matter and the importance of clinical findings.
Second, focusing on and using paradigms to organize material serves the purpose of making explicit the unspoken assumptions underlying any description of behavior. Throughout this course four major paradigms or points of view will be repeatedly discussed:
- learning (behavioral)
Learning Objectives in Online Abnormal Psychology College Course
The primary goal of the Abnormal Psychology class is to help you become familiar with the scientific study of psychopathology. In order to reach this goal, you will:
- be exposed to a wide range of human behaviors, some that will seem familiar and conventional and others that will appear bizarre and even disturbing
- address the fundamental question that anyone exploring this field must face—how to determine what is abnormal
- explore the concept of abnormality as applied to a wide variety of problems or diagnoses
- study the research being done on the causes of psychopathology and the techniques and methods being used to treat or change abnormal behavior
Which textbook is required for this online psychology course?
Abnormal Psychology (12th ed). Kring, A.M., Johnson, S.L., Davison, G., & Neale, J. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons. ISBN: 1118018494.
Lessons & Exams for Psyc270 Online Course
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 16 Lessons
- 4 Proctored Exams
Each lesson includes assigned reading from the textbook, narrated PowerPoint lectures, activity assignment, short essay and a mastery quiz. Each of the four proctored exams are multiple-choice.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.