Abnormal Psychology Online Course
UND's abnormal psychology online course is a survey of the classification, symptoms, and etiology of psychological disorders and behavior pathology.
- Psyc 111: Introduction to Psychology
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why Take UND's Online Abnormal Psychology Course?
In contemporary abnormal psychology there are few hard and fast answers. In fact, the very way the field should be conceptualized and the kinds of questions that should be asked are hotly debated issues. In this online psychology course, you will try to examine possible answers for two primary, fundamental questions:
- What causes psychopathology or abnormal behavior?
- Which treatments are most effective in preventing or reducing psychological suffering?
You will not only examine theories and research in psychopathology, but you also will see how the field of psychopathology seeks answers to some of the most puzzling questions facing humankind.
Two important aspects of this course that bear mentioning are the use of a scientific clinical approach to understanding psychopathology and the use of paradigms as an organizing principle.
First, a scientific clinical approach to examine psychopathology emphasizes the importance of science in gathering information and interpreting data pertaining to the etiology, symptoms, and treatments of various psychopathologies, but it also recognizes the often uncontrollable nature of the subject matter and the importance of clinical findings.
Second, focusing on and using paradigms to organize material serves the purpose of making explicit the unspoken assumptions underlying any description of behavior. Throughout this online abnormal psychology college course four major paradigms or points of view will be repeatedly discussed:
- Learning (behavioral)
Abnormal Psychology Course Objectives
The primary goal of the Abnormal Psychology online class is to help you become familiar with the scientific study of psychopathology. In order to reach this goal, you will:
- Be exposed to a wide range of human behaviors, some that will seem familiar and conventional and others that will appear bizarre and even disturbing
- Address the fundamental question that anyone exploring this field must face—how to determine what is abnormal
- Explore the concept of abnormality as applied to a wide variety of problems or diagnoses
- Study the research being done on the causes of psychopathology and the techniques and methods being used to treat or change abnormal behavior
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete 16 abnormal psychology lessons and 4 proctored exams.
Each lesson includes assigned reading from the textbook, narrated PowerPoint lectures, activity assignment, short essay and a mastery quiz. Each of the four proctored exams are multiple-choice.
Abnormal Psychology Course Textbook
Kring A.M., Johnson, S.L., Davison, G., & Neale, J. Abnormal Psychology: The Science and Treatment of Psychological Disorders (14th ed.). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons
- ISBN-10: 1119396115
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.