Sociology Research Methods Online Course
This online sociology course introduces you to calculation and application of basic statistical techniques employed by sociologists.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take Sociology Research methods online?
This online college course provides a basic introduction to research in sociology. We will begin by learning about the basic concepts that are essential to understanding social research, addressing such topics as:
- Ethics in social research
- Theory in research
- Research design
- Conceptualization and measurement
We will then learn about different types of research, including experiments, surveys, field research, and unobtrusive research (completing survey, field research, and content analysis projects).
And, finally, we will cover what happens after data collection, learning about the preparation and description of data, and taking a very brief (and very preliminary) look at inferential statistics.
What is required to take this sociology course?
There are thee online and free texts for the Sociology Research Methods course.
- Bhattacherjee: Social Science Research: Principles, Methods, and Practices by Anol Bhattacherjee
- Blackstone: Principles of Sociological Inquiry- Qualitative and Quantitative Methods by Amy Blackstone
- Korey (POWERMUTT): Introduction to Research Methods in Political Science: the POWERMUTT Project by John L. Korey
How long will it take to complete the Sociology Research methods course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete 14 lessons and three proctored exams.
How will the Sociology Research methods course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.