Proctors are individuals who supervise examinations and meet the criteria set forth by UND. Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations. Exam information will be noted on the course syllabus. You'll need to designate a proctor to administer and supervise those exams at a location near you. Please note that you are responsible to pay for any fees that proctors may charge for their services.
Complete these three steps to take your exam:
- Read the Proctor Policy below.
- Designate your proctor and request your exam.
- Complete your exam.
Read the information below to learn more about each step.
Proctors are individuals approved by UND to supervise examinations. Proctors have the responsibility of ensuring fairness and academic integrity during testing situations. Please read this entire UND Proctor Policy prior to designating a proctor and requesting an exam.
Students must complete the Request for Exam Form at least 3-5 business days prior to an online exam. The form needs to be completed before each exam.
Students must first receive permission from an individual before designating him or her as their proctor. For students living outside of the United States, exams conducted in other countries must be administered ONLY at an English-speaking testing center or learning center, or with ProctorU.
Please note that students are responsible to pay for any fees that proctors may charge for their services.
Who can be a proctor?
Approved proctors CAN be:
- Proctor U (available for online exams - for a fee)
- Director of Nursing
- Human Resources Manager
- Activities Director
- Health Information Manager
- Clinical Nurse Educator (ie - Infection Control, Staff Development Nurse)
- School or Public Librarians
- Educational Administrators (principal/superintendent/healthcare educator)
- Local College Testing Center Staff
- Adult Learning Centers
- Guidance Counselors
- Commanding Officers
- Military Education Officers or Embassy Education Officers
Proctors may NOT be:
- Registered Dietitians
- Direct Supervisors
- Direct Reports / Employees
- Colleagues at Same Level
- Athletic or Assistant Coaches
- Personal Tutors
- Course Preceptors
- Healthcare Administrators
If you need assistance finding a qualified proctor, please contact us at 701.777.0488, or try our live, online proctoring service (available 24/7, for a fee).
- Proctors must administer the exam within 2 weeks at their school or place of business; never at the proctor or student's home.
- Proctors must verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver's license) and read all of the exam instructions to the student before he or she begins the exam.
- Proctors will receive a password for the exam. Do not give the student the password for online exams. Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam. Do not print the exams.
- Proctors must closely monitor the student until he or she is finished with the exam and make sure the student does not leave the room, except for an emergency.
- Students cannot take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions. Students cannot take notes on the exam or attempt by any other means (e.g., by using a cell phone camera or other electronic device) to copy any part of the exam. The student or the proctor cannot print or duplicate the exam in any way.
- If the requested proctor is unable to proctor the exam, contact us at courses.UND@UND.edu. Proctors should not transfer the exam to another person or to the student.
- If the student is suspected of cheating, please contact us as soon as possible at 701.777.0488.
Designate Your Proctor and Request Your Exam
- Receive permission from the individual you wish to designate as your proctor. Make sure you agree upon a date, time and location for you to take your exam (must be at the proctor's work address).
- Enter your proctor and exam information into the Request for Exam Form.
- Upon receipt of your Request for Exam Form, our office will verify and approve/disapprove your designated proctor. UND reserves the right to accept or reject any proctor recommendation.
- Upon approval, your proctor will be sent your exam information. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for online exams. You will be notified by email when the exam information has been sent to your proctor.
- Students must take the exam in a private, well-lit room. There should be no one else
in the room when taking the exam.
- If your proctor is in person, the proctor stays in the room with you during testing. No one else is allowed.
- If you are using ProctorULive+, there should be no one else in the room when taking the exam and students should not speak out loud during the exam.
- Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam.
- Do not leave the room, except for an emergency.
- Students cannot take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind.
- Do not print, copy, or retain the exam.
In-Person Proctor Steps
- Submit the Request for In-Person Proctor Exam Form. Verify the exam appointment with your proctor. Please allow 3-5 business days to process the exam request. You must take your exam at your proctor’s work address within 2 weeks after the proctor receives it.
- Once you are with your proctor and ready to take the exam, show your driver’s license or a government-issued photo ID card to your proctor.
- Log in to Blackboard and go to the exam folder in your course. Click the exam link.
- The proctor will enter the exam password.
- Complete your exam online.
If your exam is not taken within 2 weeks, your proctor will notify our office.
ProctorU Live Information and Steps
ProctorU Live+ is a live online proctoring service that allows students to take exams from anywhere using a webcam and Internet connection, while being supervised by a remote ProctorU proctor. Using this service is optional.
Certain time periods may not be available for scheduling when ProctorU experiences extremely high volumes of testing. Please schedule your exam appointment as far in advance as possible.
Get Started with ProctorU Live+
- Create your ProctorU Account
- Download Chrome or Firefox web browser
- Download the ProctorU Extension: Chrome or Firefox
- Review System Requirements
- Test your Equipment and connect with a live technician for a full system check. This may take 25-30 minutes. Failure to do the full system check may result in delays when starting your exam.
- Schedule your Exam with ProctorULive+ as early as possible. Once you log in to ProctorU, be sure to
select the following:
- Confirm your Institution: University of North Dakota
- Select a term: Non-Credit
- Select your Exam: (Exam name)
- Sign into ProctorU when it is time for your appointment. Exams will be accessed through Blackboard and ProctorU will input the exam password. Wait times may be longer than normal (up to 45-minutes to connect to a proctor) due to high volume as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
For assistance, please contact ProctorU at 1-855-772-8678 or visit the ProctorU Help Center.
ProctorU Exam Guidelines
- Students must take the exam in a private, well-lit room. There should be no one else in the room when taking the exam and students should not speak out-loud during the exam.
- The area where students will be taking the exam should be clear of any papers, notes, books, calendars, personal items (phone, purse, photos) and other unpermitted resources.
- Students will not be allowed to take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions.
- ProctorU will verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver’s license) before the exam is started.
- ProctorU will enter the password to allow access to the Blackboard exam. Students will not have access to the exam password.
- Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam.
- Students may not print, copy, or retain the exam.
- ProctorU will troubleshoot exam problems that arise during the exam.
For full exam guidelines, read the ProctorU Exam Readiness Guide.
ProctorU Privacy and Data Security Policies
Data privacy and security information for ProctorU can be found below:
Do you have a question that isn't answered here? Please contact the Office of Extended Learning at 701.777.0488.
When can I take my exam?
- If you are taking your exam with an in-person proctor, work with them to schedule a time that works for both of you. The exam should be taken within two weeks of the proctor receiving the exam password.
- If you are taking your exam with ProctorU Live, you may schedule your exam anytime - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What are the technical requirements for proctored exams?
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with Internet access must be available. Exams should not be taken on smartphones or tablets.
- Exams should be taken in a private, well-lit environment.
- Wireless Internet connections are not recommended.
- Web browser and operating system requirements can be found on the Technical Requirements page. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
What if I am kicked out of the exam or receive a submission error?
For ProctorU Live+ exams where the exam was not submitted, the proctor should be able to enter the exam password and let you back into the exam.
If the exam submitted prematurely, please contact the course instructor or the Office of Extended Learning at 701.777.0488.
Can I retake my Exam?
Yes, but you're allowed one retake per exam. If you score lower than 70% on a particular exam and you wish to raise your score, you may retake the exam for a fee of $25. Remember, the scores from all exams are averaged to get the 70% or better score. To retake your exam, please complete the Exam Retake Form.