Human Anatomy & Physiology I Lab Online Course
Laboratory exploration of human anatomy and physiology through physiology experiments, dissections, human cadaver viewings, and evaluations of self.
Accompanies BIMD 220. It is strongly recommended that students complete the lecture course from UND. Students are expected to fully understand each topic from the lecture course before they complete the corresponding topic in the lab course.
- BIMD 220
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
About the Human Anatomy & Physiology Online Courses
BIMD 220L (1 credit) and BIMD 221L (1 credit) accompany their 3 credit lecture components, creating a complete 8 credit survey of the anatomy and physiology of the major human organ systems and the foundational concepts required to understand them. The labs focus on quantitative literacy, histology, and dissection.
These courses use a badge progression model, which is a method of gamification for learning. Content of these courses is divided into easily identifiable units called badges. By completing BIMD 220 and 220L, 221 and 221L students work their way through 14 content badges that represent all the major body systems. Students will cover these topcis in BIMD 220 Lab:
Students will be awarded badges by UND’s Teaching Transformation and Development Academy (TTaDA) via an email sent to their official UND email account. They will be asked to accept this badge, which will give them a permanent Acclaim account where they have URL they can include in their CVs/Resumes or share their badges to various social media outlets.
What can I expect in each lesson?
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading. There are no lab exams. Each content badge has one or more of the following accompanying lab elements located in TopHat or Blackboard:
- AnatomyTV Labs – These lab activities will require students to interact with an anatomy 3D modeling software called AnatomyTV. Students will have free access to this through their UND creditentials and the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences Library. Students will be asked to label specific structures demonstrating a knowledge of 3D anatomy. Some of these labs will include remote animal dissections.
- Dissection Kits – Remote animal dissection kits can be ordered at the link above through Carolina Biological supply. Some of the AnatomyTV labs will require students to submit images of their dissections with these kits. NO alternative assignments to the use of these kits will be provide.
- Histology Labs – These lab activities will ask students to review series of labeled histology images before asking them questions about relevant microanatomy
- Biometric Data Labs – These lab activities will focus on quantitative literacy. Students will track their own physiological data or use existing data sets to further their understanding of physiological concepts. Relevant primary literature will also be incorporated.
- Reflections – After completing the lab activities for each badge students will be asked to complete a short reflection essay to promote metacognitive thinking. These also serve as grading triggers for the entire badge content in lab.
These courses use TopHat and Blackboard. TopHat works through a student-paid subscription service. Students will be required to create an account and purchase a subscription to TopHat. Additional information is in the course syllabus and in Blackboard.
You are required to purchase at home dissection kits. These are ~$60. They are safe to use and dispose of in your home. They may not ship to every country. Dr. Haage does not provide alternative assignments to the dissection kits.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.