UND Compensation Compliance (UNDCC)
A new way to manage sponsor compensation compliance.
In December 2014, OMB Uniform Guidance (UG) became effective to reduce the administrative burden on award recipients and, at the same time, guard against the risk of waste and misuse of Federal funds.
- Focuses on an institution’s internal controls.
- Eliminates requirements for certifier(s) and requirements for certification frequency.
- Allows for alternative methodologies for certification.
This is a shift in approach from the OMB Circular A-21, that required:
- Specific certification methods.
- Defined criteria for certifier(s).
- Defined certification frequency.
About UND Compensation Compliance System
UND is introducing a new UND Compensation Compliance (UNDCC) System that takes advantage of the flexibility that UG provides. With the new system, UND will shift from Effort Reporting to Payroll Confirmation.
- Payroll confirmation is a methodology that provides greater flexibility for institutions to comply with the compensation compliance requirements (2 CFR 200.430 - Compensation) of the federal government.
- Traditional effort reporting was a methodology that calculated the amount charged to a project as a percentage of effort (or time equivalency) that would be confirmed by the individual as being accurate.
- Under payroll confirmation, the Principal Investigator (PI), by project, can confirm salary charged to a project is reasonable in relation to the work performed for the project.
- This change in methodology should also provide for a significant reduction in faculty and administrative burden in the process to confirm the reasonableness of salary charged to sponsored projects.
- Replaces the manual process of inter-office routing paper PAC forms
- New reports
- New user interface
- Standardized workflows
- Automated processes and electronic records
- Improved compliance through real-time reporting and timely notifications
- Simplified user interface and experience
- 24/7 access to monitor and track salaries and wages charged to sponsored projects
- Real-time visibility allows corrections to be made sooner to avoid unnecessary re-certifications
There will be transitional and on-going support for UNDCC, including:
- Documentation and Training - resources will be provided to cover UNDCC and the changes from current to future state to help users transition to the new system.
- Go Live Support - in addition to the support outlined above, which will be available indefinitely, there will be a period of more intensive support in weeks surrounding go-live.
- Email und.cc@UND.edu to reach Grants & Contracts if you have questions or need support in UNDCC.