One of the core principles that guided the development of UND LEADS, and which will govern the implementation of the plan, is an unwavering commitment to the ideas, experiences, and voices of the full UND community.
Upon the recommendation of the UND LEADS Strategic Planning Committee and in alignment with the objective of ensuring UND LEADS becomes a dynamic instrument giving shape and significance to the work of the university, a framework for integrated, ongoing, transparent, campus-wide collaboration will be established to help perform the work of UND LEADS.
This work will be facilitated by Ryan Zerr, as the Associate Vice President for Strategy & Implementation, and assisted by the UND LEADS Strategic Plan Implementation Committee which is chaired by Dr. Zerr and Angie Carpenter.
State of the University Address
One of the core principles that guided the development of UND LEADS, and which will govern the implementation of the plan, is an unwavering commitment to the ideas, experiences, and voices of the full UND community. This appreciation for shared experience, shared governance, shared opportunities, and shared ideas became the very basis for the shared vision expressed in UND LEADS.
In the implementation of the strategic plan, the Implementation Committee will be charged (and energized) around this commitment to the full UND community and to the shared governance structures at the university that will allow all members of the UND community—faculty, staff, students, alumni, community partners, and beyond—to continue to have a voice and a role in bringing UND LEADS forward and making UND a dynamic place to learn, work, create, and serve.
- Serve as coordinating and leadership team responsible for the successful implementation of UND LEADS, to include coordinating executive strategy, making budget recommendations when appropriate, advising the president and the president’s executive council on all matters related to UND LEADS strategy, implementation, and outcomes.
- Ensure that throughout the lifetime of UND LEADS that shared governance processes that encourage campus-wide engagement in the work of the plan are promoted and that transparent processes are followed. This work should help enhance the diversity, quality, and quantity of voices across all dimensions of campus in the work of UND LEADS.
- Work to establish metrics and instruments (whenever needed and/or appropriate) that will allow the institution to track and report on the progress of UND LEADS across the lifetime of the plan.
- Facilitate campus-wide UND LEADS events that provide meaningful reporting as well as opportunities for cross-campus collaboration and conversation on matters related to the successful implementation of the plan and the furtherance of the university Mission and Vision. These activities may include, but are not limited to, the issuance of reports, website updates, town halls, workshops, and more.
- Establish and maintain a website (and related dashboards and other reporting instruments) that will allow for ongoing engagement by the UND community in the implementation of UND LEADS. Engage (through the website and other means) in ongoing campus-wide updates on the work of the university relative to UND LEADS.
- Produce an annual report (deliverable each January to the president of the institution and subsequently published each February) that provides an update on the implementation of the plan in the prior calendar year.
- Serve as counsel to the president, the provost, and the president’s leadership team on matters pertaining to the successful implementation of UND LEADS.
- Serve as the leadership team responsible for the updating and amendment of UND LEADS, upon approval of the president, in order to ensure that the plan remains a positive and dynamic instrument over the course of its lifetime.
- Provide leadership across campus for the integration of UND LEADS and all other strategic plans and related task force and/or working group reports, to help coordinate efforts across campus toward the successful realization of the Mission and Vision of the university. This would include college-level strategic plans, DEI plans, SEM plans, and beyond.
- Host and conduct the meetings of the UND LEADS Integration Council.
- Communication: Similar to the planning process that resulted in the creation of UND
LEADS, the implementation team will encourage open, transparent, and continuous communication
during the lifecycle of the plan. This communication should, whenever possible, take
the form of transparent dialogue, engagement by stakeholders across all dimensions
of the university, and robust and meaningful feedback processes. The UND LEADS communication
plan should include items such as the following, whenever appropriate:
- Incorporating the Mission and Vision into print and spoken material to show how decisions we are making align with UND LEADS.
- Tag institutional stories according to any associated pillars and have these be automatically pulled to the Strategic Plan website.
- The Mission, Vision, and five pillars should be publicly displayed on signage in university facilities, on the website, and routinely worked into official communications.
- The regular monthly or quarterly publishing of an electronic university newsletter that highlights initiatives happening across the institution and how these relate to the overall university plan.
- The deployment of regular feedback-generating processes on the strategic initiatives that are taking place as a part of this plan. When appropriate, these feedback mechanisms may include options for anonymous feedback.