Enhance pathways to higher education and establish supportive learning structures that help all people realize their full potential.
Embrace the evolving diversity of perspectives, peoples and ideas as a core strength.
We value diverse peoples, perspectives and ideas, and we support actions that are inclusive of all members of the UND community and promote fair and equitable living, learning and working environments. We value differences between people and promote the benefits of recruiting diverse students and employees by establishing programs that help them succeed at UND.
Creating more just and equitable opportunities allows all people to realize their potential―one of the great goals of any public university. Students who are indigenous, non-traditional, rural, military-affiliated, people of color, international, queer and trans, first-generation, historically marginalized, people with disabilities―and the list goes on―deserve the same access and opportunities as everyone else, whether in-person or online. The same can be said for UND’s diverse employees, alumni and community members. Everyone deserves the unquestioned right to have their voices heard, for free speech has been―and continues to be―the cornerstone of discourse on our campus.
Trudy Schunck enjoys turning her vision into her reality. After starting a degree nearly twenty years ago, she's is at UND to finish what she started.
Equity Strategic Priorities
UND Leads by building an inclusive culture that recognizes diverse perspectives and promotes equitable opportunities. We will:
- Promote diverse perspectives and inclusive worldviews by offering inclusive teaching methods, high impact practices, professional development programs and opportunities to understand diverse populations and meet their changing needs.
- Frame Essential Studies and the Liberal Arts as foundational to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) learning, enabling us to value and appreciate both our collective identity as humans and the tremendous variation within our humanity.
- Reduce barriers to higher education by increasing affordability through scholarships, need-based aid, and Open Educational Resources. Invest in support services with the aim of boosting retention and degree completion.
- Ensure equity in our online learning environment by increasing support for online, hybrid and blended learning and access to the various student services and opportunities of traditional UND students.
- Establish cooperative relationships with the surrounding communities and Indigenous nations, seeking their guidance in embracing restorative justice that empowers all communities through a collaborative process. Work to become a premier institution for Indigenous Studies.
- Invest in diverse area studies, programs and initiatives that will help faculty, staff, and departments enhance DEIA efforts.
- Implement flexible working and learning options that make UND more accessible to a broader, more diverse population. Work to meet the changing needs of our students and employees with a commitment to access and inclusion.