A grant is a monetary gift and does not have to be repaid. You qualify for grants based on your financial need, although you must also meet some general eligibility requirements.

Pell Grants are awarded by the federal government for as much as $6,095 per academic year.

The award amount is calculated based on the financial data you provide on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

  • Students must file a FAFSA and have official EFC.
  • Award Depends on Expected Family Contribution (EFC), enrollment status and duration of attendance.

You must be an undergraduate student seeking your first bachelor's degree.

Award Amount Credit Hours per Semester
Full (100%) award 12+ credits
Three-quarters (75%) award 9 - 11 credits
Half (50%) award 6 - 8 credits
One-quarter (25%) award 1 - 5 credits

You are limited to a total of 6 full-time years (600%) of Pell Grant eligibility. Visit the NSLDS website to determine the percentage of Pell Grant you have received.

Learn more about Federal Pell Grants.

The SEOG grant is available to undergraduate, Pell Grant-eligible students who are enrolled in 6 or more credits per semester.

Learn more about the Federal SEOG Grant

The Federal TEACH Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants to graduate or undergraduate students who plan to pursue a career in teaching.

To receive the grant, you must agree to teach in a high-need subject area for at least 4 years and at a school that serves students from low-income families. If you don't fulfill the agreement, your grant will convert into a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, which you'll need to repay with interest.

Learn more about the Federal TEACH Grant Program.

This program is often referred to as the State Grant Program, and it provides grants to first-time undergraduate students who:

  • Graduated from a North Dakota high school or GED program
  • Are residents of North Dakota
  • Attend a North Dakota public, private or tribal college

Grants are for up to $1,950 per academic year, based on enrollment status. You can apply for the grant by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Learn more about the North Dakota State Student Incentive Grant Program.

To qualify for the IASG students must:

  • Must file a FAFSA and have official EFC.
  • Identified by Department of Defense.
  • Dependent of deceased veteran of Iraq / Afghanistan Wars.
  • 23 years of age or younger at the time of veteran's death.
If older than 23 years of age, enrolled at institution of higher learning at the time of death.