New Student Room Selection
We're excited for you to find your Home at UND!
Living on campus is a great way to meet people and make friends. Students have lived on campus since the University's founding in 1883. Although the physical buildings and technology have changed over the years, UND's dedication to a positive living experience remains.
Fall 2024 Important Dates & Timeline
The New Student Application Process will open on October 2, 2023 at 10 a.m. CDT.
2024-2025 Application Opens in Housing Self-Service
- Log into your Housing Self Service.
- At the top of the Housing Self-Service page, select Application and Forms. In the drop-down menu select the correct application for the academic term you are applying. Example: Residence Hall Application (Fall 2024)
- Answer application questions, including your top 3 Hall Choices.
- You will be required to pay the $60 non-refundable application fee by E-check or credit card.
- Sign the 2024-2025 Room and Meal Plan Agreement.
- Start the roommate matching process.
Room Selection priority times are based on original application completion times.
March 1 at 5 p.m. CDT
Priority Deadline for Inclusion in First Round of Room Selection Process & Deadline for Application Changes
All students who have completed the housing application, signed their Room & Meal Plan Agreement, and confirmed enrollment with UND will be included in the first round of Room Selection. Room Selection times are given based on the original date of application.
Verify Completion of the Following
- Complete Housing Application, including signing your Residence Hall Room & Meal Plan License Agreement along with indicating your hall preferences and verifying interest in Living Learning Communities.
- Confirm Enrollment at UND (if applicable)
- Select Roommates and ensure that any roommate groups are fully matched.
- Explore Housing Options
Application Changes Deadline
Students will need to make any updates to their application by this date. Any updates to the application will not change the original application date. Any roommate matches made after this date may not be processed.
March 6 - 8
Graduate and Transfer Student Apartment-Style Room Assignments
New graduate and transfer students who have applied to live in Apartment-Style Housing will be assigned a room based on available spaces.
March 6 - 8
Living Learning Communities Selections
Students who have indicated an interest in and have been verified as eligible for a Living Learning Community (LLC) will be assigned a room during this time. Students who did not indicate interest in an LLC or do not receive a room assignment during this process will participate in New Student Room Selection. Students wanting to be included in the LLC Room Assignment Process must have indicated their preference on their housing application prior to the priority deadline.
Students who are eligible and have been pre-selected to live in an LLC will be assigned to a room.
- Assignments for each LLC will be made according to the date the housing application was received.
- Students may only be assigned to an LLC if they meet the eligibility for the LLC and have indicated interest in living in the LLC.
- Matched roommate groups will be assigned together only if all members of the matched roommate group meet the criteria for the LLC.
- Groups in which all students do not meet the LLC criteria will not be assigned as part of the LLC Room Assignment Process and will select a room during the Room Selection Process.
- Not all students that request an LLC assignment will receive an assignment in an LLC as demand in some communities is greater than the capacity.
- Students who receive an assignment in the LLC Room Assignment Process will not participate in the Room Selection Process but will have the opportunity to change rooms in the Room Change Processes.
Housing & Residence Life makes assignments for athletes based on the information that is shared from Athletics. Athletes should ask their coach for more information about housing for athletes.
Residence Hall Room Selection Times Sent to Students
All students who have met the priority deadline will receive an email with their room selection start time. Start times will also be available to view in Housing Self Service.
New Student Room Selection
March 12th 10 a.m. - April 3rd at 5 p.m. CDT
1st Round: March 12 at 10 a.m. CDT to April 3 at 5 p.m. CDT
All students who have completed their housing application, signed their Residence Hall Room & Meal Plan License Agreement, and confirmed their enrollment to UND from October 2 - March 1 at 5 p.m. will have the opportunity to participate in the room selection process.
2nd Round: March 19 at 10 a.m. CDT to April 3 at 5 p.m. CDT
All students who have completed their housing application, signed their Residence Hall Room & Meal Plan License Agreement, and confirmed their enrollment to UND from March 2 - March 18 at 5 p.m. will have the opportunity to participate in the room selection process.
3rd Round: March 26 at 10 a.m. CDT to April 3 at 5 p.m. CDT
All students who have completed their housing application, signed their Residence Hall Room & Meal Plan License Agreement, and confirmed their enrollment to UND from March 19 - March 25 at 5 p.m. will have the opportunity to participate in the room selection process.
Room Selection Information
The majority of new students will participate in the Room Selection Process, where they will be able to select from all available rooms at their room selection start time. Here's what you need to know:
- Review the room selection process instructions prior to your selection time.
- Participating students will receive a start date and time based on when their housing application was submitted. The earlier your application was submitted the earlier your room selection start time.
- Start times will be spaced 1 minute apart. Students are encouraged to select a room as soon as they are able in order to maximize the room choices available. Once a student’s start time has passed, the student may select a room at any time before the end of Room Selection.
- Room Selection start times will be emailed to the student's UND email and will also be available in Housing Self Service. Please visit Housing Self Service in advance of your start time so you may troubleshoot any access problems.
- Students selecting a room will only see open rooms for which they are eligible.
- Students in a roommate group will only see rooms that can accommodate the size of the roommate group. If no rooms are available, try removing members from the roommate group and search again.
- Students who have matched with a roommate group will be able to select room(s) for everyone in the roommate group.
- Students who have not chosen a roommate group will select from available open bed spaces. Students will have to select a space that may already have someone assigned to the room.
- Once a selection has been made, no changes or other selections can be made. Students will have the opportunity to look for a different room in the Room Change Process.
- Any student included in this process that does not select a room will be automatically assigned a room prior to April 10.
Room Assignments for Students Who Did Not Self Select
All students who completed the housing application and confirmed their enrollment to UND but did not self-select their room will have an assignment made for them.
Room Assignments for Applications Received after April 3
Students who complete an application after April 3 will be given a housing assignment. Assignments will be made weekly by the Housing & Residence Life Office. Students will then be eligible to participate in the Room Change Processes.
Make Room Changes (Space Permitting)
Students who have received a room assignment will be able to use the Room Change Process to look for other available rooms.
All students with a room assignment will be able to participate in the Room Change Process if spaces are available.
- Students will be able to select from any open spaces.
- Students may only select a space for themselves.
- Any roommates that want to move will need to make their own room selection.
- Room changes can be made multiple times during the room change process if there is availability.
- Students are encouraged to check back if a specific space they are looking for is not currently available. Additional spaces may open up throughout the summer as students make changes or no longer plan to attend UND.
Silver Anytime Access meal plans will be assigned for those who did not self-select.
Prior to June 25, students can select their own meal plan in Housing Self Service. If students need to change their meal plan after June 25, please contact the Housing & Residence Life Office at housing@UND.edu.
How To Apply
See the instructions on how to apply for housing, search for and select a roommate, how to select your room, and how to select your meal plan.
*Please note that all dates are subject to change. Page updated on 9/27/23.