Insurance & Billing
All students are eligible for medical care at Student Health Services (SHS) with or without health insurance.
Bring your insurance card to every appointment.
Like most medical clinics in our local community, there is a fee for most medical services provided at SHS. If you have health insurance, SHS will submit these charges to your insurance company. The amount you owe, called the patient responsibility, is determined by your health insurance plan. You will also be responsible for all co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance determined by your health insurance.
Charges are incurred for:
- Provider visits and procedures
- Lab work
- Flight physicals (FAA physicals) are not billed through health insurance
- Class 1, 2, and 3 flight physicals are $175, with additional charges for lab tests or EKGs.
Call 701.777.4294 for cost estimates of services at Student Health Services.
Make a Payment
- Unpaid balances will be forwarded to your Campus Connection student account and payment can be processed online.
- To make a payment with your Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flex Cards, call 701.777.3457 or 701.777.4294.
Steps for Billing to Insurance
- Your medical provider determines the medical charges at each visit.
- SHS bills your medical charges directly to your health insurance company.
- Your insurance company processes the claim, usually taking 6-8 weeks.
- You will receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) or determination of insurance payments sent directly to your home residence.
- Any patient responsibility will be forwarded to your Campus Connection student account.
- You will not receive a billing statement from SHS. You can access a statement on the UND Health Portal.
Verify Your Insurance
We strongly recommend checking your health insurance coverage prior to your medical appointments. The phone number to ask about your insurance coverage is typically located on the back of your insurance card.
Here are some questions to ask your insurance company:
- "Is UND Student Health Services in-network for my insurance?"
- "What amount does my insurance cover and what amount am I responsible for?
- "Do I need a referral from my Primary Care Provider (PCP) before I can be seen at SHS?"
- "Can I change my PCP to a SHS provider?"
- "Does my insurance provide 'away from home' coverage?"
- "Does my plan only cover urgent or emergency care when i am away from home? (SHS bills as an outpatient facility).
Accepted Insurance Plans
**Be sure to verify in-network or out-of-network benefit coverage by calling the member services phone number on the back of your insurance card.
Examples of some of the insurance plans that cover SHS services:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield North Dakota Expanded Medicaid
- North Dakota Medicaid
- Preferred One
- Sanford Health
- Tricare - Specific
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Student Resources (NDUS endorsed student insurance plan)
- And Others - Check by calling the phone number on the back of your insurance card.
How does billing and payment work if I don't have health insurance?
Your medical provider determines the medical charges on your visit. If you do not have health insurance, the self-pay charges will be sent to your Campus Connection student account following your appointment.
If you are interested in signing up for health insurance contact the North Dakota Navigator program.
For more information about affordable health insurance plans or to request enrollment assistance, contact one of our local ND Navigators at 1-800-233-1737 or 701-858-3580. You may also send an email to NDNavigators@MinotStateU.edu or complete the Contact Form to be connected to a Navigator in your region.
International College Students
International students at UND, except for Canadian and Norwegian students, are required to carry NDUS Student Insurance per State Board of Higher Education policy.
International students will be enrolled upon registration for insurance coverage.
Contact the UND International Center for more information about health insurance requirements or the waiver process.