Insurance & Billing
All students are eligible for care with or without health insurance.
How much does it cost to be seen at SHS?
Like any doctor visit, there is a fee for services provided. If you have insurance, Student Health Services (SHS) will assist you with submitting these charges to your insurance company to reduce or minimize your out-of-pocket expense. Your patient responsibility will be determined by your insurance plan.
Charges are incurred for:
- Provider Office Visits
- Ancillary services such as lab work, x-ray, prescriptions, minor surgery, immunization, wart treatment, ear wash, allergy injections, and procedures.
- Physical exams such as pre-employment, pre-operative, FAA (flight), and women’s and men’s annual exams.
You will be responsible for all co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance. Any charges that are not covered by insurance plan will also be your responsibility to pay.
Please bring your current insurance card with you to every appointment.
We understand that health insurance is complex and difficult to understand. Student Health Services has an Insurance Coordinator able to talk with you to answer questions about health insurance and assist you in finding coverage. If you have questions, please call our Insurance Coordinator at 701-777-3457.
Steps for Billing to Insurance
- Your medical appointment determines the charges assessed for your medical care.
- Insurance is filed with your insurance company. Provide a copy of your insurance at your appointment.
- Insurance is processed by insurance company. This usually takes 6-8 weeks.
- Unpaid balances or patient responsibilities will be charged to your Campus Connection account.
Validate Your Insurance
Most young adults are eligible to stay on their parent’s family plan until they turn 26. Student Health Services will submit charges to your insurance provider or help you submit charges on your own, depending on your insurance company, to minimize your out-of-pocket costs.
Please validate with your insurance carrier if UND Student Health Services is considered to be an “in-network” participating provider. Some plans allow you to ask for an “out-of area” network waiver form, which will reduce your out-of-pocket costs. The phone number to call and inquire is typically located on the back of your insurance card.
These are some of the insurance plans Student Health Services is in network with:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield (PPO provider)
- Minnesota Medicaid (PrimeWest, UCare, HealthPartners, Itsaca Medical Care)
- North Dakota Medicaid (Sanford Expanded Medicaid)
- Preferred One
- Sanford Health
- United Healthcare (commercial coverage)
- United Healthcare Student Resources (NDUS endorsed student insurance plan)
Domestic College Students
Domestic students (i.e. American citizens) are not required by the NDUS to carry insurance coverage. However, the Affordable Care Act does require that you carry some sort of health insurance. Domestic students who are looking for insurance options can access affordable health care insurance through healthcare.gov or call the SHS Insurance Coordinator at 701.777.3457.
International College Students
International students at UND (with the exception of Canadian and Norwegian students) are required to carry the NDUS health insurance per State Board of Higher Education policy. International students will be enrolled upon registration for insurance coverage.