Creativity, Discovery and Innovation
The hallmark of a great institution is its ability to perform transformational research, facilitate the discovery of new knowledge and foster creative expression.
UND was founded in the belief that this university will transform the future. That tradition, and our gritty determination to make an impact on the communities that we serve, drives our intellectual exploration and pursuit of knowledge. We accept the challenge to collaborate and solve some of our most pressing issues.
UND embraces both the depth and the breath in our research and scholarship across the university. We are pioneering discoveries in unmanned flight, harnessing the power of big data, and changing the game in energy exploration and environmental sustainability. We are fighting the nation’s raging opioid epidemic and waging war against deadly cancers and debilitating deep-brain diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer's. In addition, we proudly recognize and support the important contributions of all creative activity and discovery happening across the institution.
As such, we must examine ways to foster an ecosystem that supports and promotes the impactful depth and incredible breath of the scholarly endeavors happening at UND all the while promoting and encouraging new scholarly, collaborative, and interdisciplinary work across our faculty, students, staff, and partners in order to solve complex problems. In addition, we must seek to develop innovative partnerships and expand our entrepreneurial ecosystem in order to create new opportunities for economic development, research and educational collaborations which will meet evolving community and workforce needs.
- Ryan Adams
- Mark Askelson
- Sandy Braathen
- Becca Baumbach
- Kevin Fickenscher
- Surojit Gupta
- Sarah Heitkamp
- Paul Korus
- Beth Kurz
- Soizik Laguette
- Dan Laudal
- Michael Mann
- Madhavi Marasinghe
- Nuri Oncel
- Scott Sandberg
- Shawnda Schroeder
- Robert Stupnisky
- Chih Ming Tan
- Stephanie Walker
- Zeineb Yousif
Workgroup Questions to Consider
- How does our research help UND be an economic and quality-of-life driver for North Dakota?
- How do we build on UND’s strengths and focus energy and resources towards discovering solutions to issues we are uniquely positioned to address?
- How do we examine the current, interdisciplinary work being done with the Grand Challenges, which are identified as areas of research strength for the institution, and build upon this work seeking new and innovative ways for UND’s research portfolio to evolve?
- How do we support faculty-led interdisciplinary research initiatives?
- How do we foster the scholarship of teaching and learning in meaningful ways across the institution?
- How do we improve our infrastructure and capacity for all research and creative activity across campus (breadth and depth)?
- How do we accelerate the discovery, creation, and transfer of new knowledge?
- How do we promote and support research, discovery, and creative expression as a core foundation of the educational experience for our students?
- How do we support and enhance the ecosystem around research and creative activity, fostering a stronger culture of collaboration and promoting positive risk taking?
- How do we identify and support interdisciplinary academic priorities?
- How do we increase the diversity of those engaged in discovery and creative activities?
- How do we increase the pipeline of students being exposed and involved in research particularly when it comes to students of underrepresented backgrounds?
- How do we promote and deepen our reputation for scholarship, discovery and creative activity through associated publications, awards, and fellowships?
- How do we foster collaborations with Tribal Colleges and Nations, community college partners, business, industry, community and government leaders and others in ways that align with regional growth initiatives?
- How will we work together to create solutions to problems that will improve lives, foster healthy communities, and positively impact the world?
- How do we continue to spur innovation across campus to enhance economic growth through the creation of new knowledge and scalable entrepreneurial enterprises?
- How do we establish UND as the statewide higher-education leader in fostering entrepreneurship, innovation, economic development, incubation, and commercialization, and provide campus-wide access to students and faculty to a network of state-of-the-art innovation services and learning experiences?
Concepts, Areas and Ideas
The following concepts, areas and ideas were collected from university feedback and helped form this Workgroup. However, each Workgroup is encouraged to think holistically about their topic and expand these areas as part of their critical review.
- Resources and support for grants
- R1/R2 (fostering the research ecosystem)
- Internal funding
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Building upon emerging and existing areas of strengths (areas of distinction)
- Creating an infrastructure that fosters an interdisciplinary approach to creativity, discovery, and innovation
- Ecosystem for Innovation and Entrepreneurship