ND Quality Assurance
2023 QA Case Review Information
The goal of the child welfare system is to promote, safeguard, and protect the overall well-being of the children, to intervene on behalf of the abused and neglected children, and to work with children and families to assure that every child has a permanent, safe, and nurturing environment in which to achieve their maximum potential. ND Children and Family Services (CFS) employs the Quality Assurance (QA) Unit to complete QA Case Reviews as one tool to ensure child welfare services achieve these outcomes and to support the state's ongoing quality improvement efforts. The information from the reviews is used to identify how the state's child welfare system is functioning, not about any one individual worker or agency.
This page contains information for agencies participating in a 2023 QA Case Review to prepare for the review and know what to expect when the case is actually reviewed. QA Case Reviews are now held on a quarterly basis and the second quarter of 2023 (April - June) is referred to 23B.
23B Case Review Highlights
- Case sample Period: 04.01.2022 to 09.30.2022
- Period under review (PUR): 04.01.2022-Date the case is reviewed
- Case sample outreach begins: 03.06.2023
- Case sample secured target date: 03.24.2023
- 23B QA Case Review begins: 04.10.2023
- 10 Foster Care cases & 7 In Home cases will be reviewed
- 23B Schedule Details & Case File Upload Due Dates
Case Sampling Outreach
The case sampling outreach begins November 28. Please review the Statewide Orientation Message to the Field (PDF) posted below for further details.
- Foster Care Case File Checklist
- In Home Case File Checklist
- Genogram Resource
- Key Case Participant Interview Guide
- Uploading a Case File in Microsoft Teams
Case Preparation Documents
*Most Case Preparation Documents are encouraged, but not required.
- CPS Case Narrative-SFN 993
- Foster Care Case Narrative-SFN 995
- Foster Care Supervisory Questionnaire-SFN 997
- In Home Services Case Narrative-SFN 996
- In Home Supervisory Questionnaire-SFN 998
- Adoption Summary-SFN 992 **Required for Applicable Cases**
Other Helpful Documents
QA Case Review-Flier for Foster Caregivers
QA Case Review-Flier for Child Welfare Workers
Agency Introduction Video
Leanne Miller, QA Manager, provides a recorded overview of what to expect during the QA Case Reviews. In this video, she will go over highlights of the case review instrument, the forms to accompany the case file, information on how the case file should be made available to the review team, and questions workers having their case reviewed might expect during their case review. Information is also shared about the Preliminary Results Meeting (PRM), the new Case Record Review (CRR) process and *NEW* Stakeholder surveys that will be occurring for foster care cases. QA Unit contact information is included at the end of the presentation. You may skip through sections of the video or replay portions of the video as your needs dictate. (Recorded 03.10.21)
NOTE: The dates in this video reflect the April - September 2021 review, however, much of the content of the video remains current. A new video is being developed to match the revised case review instrument and process.
Agency Introduction Video Documents
2021 Agency Introduction Power Point Presentation
Any Quality Assurance questions should be directed to the North Dakota Children and Family Services Quality Assurance Unit by email to: email@example.com