Substance Exposed Infants Training
Substance Exposed Infant Training
In December of 2020, North Dakota implemented the Safety Framework Practice Model. With this implementation along other Child Welfare related policy changes, CFSTC partnered with ND Children and Family Services Division administration to update the following trainings in October of 2022. In November 2023 the training was updated due to North Dakota law changes expanding Substance Exposed Newborns (SEN) to Substance Exposed Infants (SEI), that includes infants younger than 12 months of age who at the time of the initial report of child abuse or neglect and who is identified as being affected by substance use or withdrawal symptoms or by a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.
**Please note that Children and Family Services is in the process of updating State Forms to reflect the change from SEN to SEI. As these forms are revised they will be updated on the page below.**
- An Introduction to Substance Exposed Mothers and Infants
- North Dakota's CPS Response to Substance Exposed Infants Updated 11.2023
Training Session Resources
- CPS Response to Substance Exposed Infants Presentation Handout Updated 11.2023
- SEI Glossary of Terms Updated 11.2023
Certificate of Completion
After viewing the "ND CPS Response to Substance Exposed Infants", please complete the following online qualtrics survey by clicking HERE.
Your name and email information is needed to provide the certificate of completion. Identifying information will NOT be considered when reviewing the feedback from the other questions in the survey.
Within one-two weeks, a signed certificate of completion will be emailed to you. If you have not received the information following two-weeks, please contact the CFSTC by calling 701.777.3442 or email UND.cfstc@UND.edu
Substance Exposed Infant Resources
- Protective Factors Action Sheets
- SEI Flow Chart (which track is most appropriate) Updated 11.2023
- Plan of Care for SEN (SFN 485)
- Alternative Response Agreement (SFN 495)
- Alternative Response Safety Support Agreement (SFN 497)
- Making Reports to CPS Involving SEN and Alternative Response to CPS Assessments (DN 1634 Information Sheet)
**Please note that forms may require the most updated version of Adobe, contact your agency's IT department if there are issues.**