Last updated August 9, 2022
We are watching the continued evolution of COVID-19 and the new variant, BA.5.
It is reported that this is the most easily spread strain so far.
For those at risk, the CDC continues to recommend masking, particularly with an N95 or KN95 mask. And as always, if you are working with or speaking with another person and they ask to you wear a mask, please do so as a matter of courtesy and respect.
Since the onset of the pandemic, UND has tied COVID-19 mitigation strategies to local infection risk and hospital capacity. This practice will continue in the fall semester.
We are watching the latest variant’s trajectory, and will seek to minimize disruptions to our fall semester operations and to protect high-risk individuals within our campus community. To achieve this, we will continue several standards:
- There is no campus-wide mask mandate.
- Faculty members will have the option to require masks within their individual classroom or laboratory.
- Masks will be required in Student Health for patients who are ill.
- Plexiglas barriers installed in classrooms will remain in place. If you wish to have
plexiglass installed or re-installed in the classroom, contact:
Associate Director of Facility Maintenance
- Consistent with North Dakota Department of Health recommendations, we will continue to ask those infected and close contacts who are unvaccinated to avoid campus during their five-day isolation period (for those infected) and five-day quarantine (for close contacts).
Because UND’s mitigation and mask policy has and will continue to be informed by local pandemic conditions, there may be changes to the policy in the future.
Be Healthy Hawks
It continues to be important to:
- Stay home when sick
- Get all recommended vaccinations
- COVID test as needed
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Clean regularly
- Wash your hands often
Quarantine and Isolation
Please consult these external resources for the latest guidance:
- What to do if You Test Positive for COVID-19
- COVID Isolation Calculator (NDDOH)
- Quarantine and Isolation Information (CDC)
Testing and Immunizations
- PCR testing is available to students at Student Health Services.
- Rapid and PCR testing is available weekdays from 7 a.m. - 11 a.m. at the Fritz Pollard Athletic Center hosted by Grand Forks Public Health.
- Home test kits are available around campus and in the Grand Forks community.
- COVID immunizations, including booster doses, are available by appointment at Student Health Services.