Military Tuition & Education Benefits
Maximize your military education benefits.
One in seven UND students is an active duty military service member or veteran earning their UND degree with the support of military education benefits.
Affordable In-State Tuition Rates
Get the North Dakota tuition rate for all on-campus programs regardless of actual state of legal residency if you're one of the following:
- Active duty military for more than 30 days (includes National Guard and Reserves if active duty for other than training purposes)
- Member of National Guard or Reserves
- Military veteran
- Dependents (spouse or child of a service member) as listed above
- Contracted ROTC cadets at the University of North Dakota
This tuition rate policy includes undergraduates, graduates, medical and law students enrolled in on-campus programs. Students enrolled in online programs pay a flat rate per credit regardless of military status or residency. You must indicate service member, veteran or military-affiliated on your application to receive these rates. If you did not indicate your affiliation on the application, you must apply for North Dakota residency.
UND offers an Active Duty Military (not including guard or reserve) tuition rate of $250 per credit to undergraduate students* using Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) benefits. You must apply to UND before being eligible for TA benefits. TA is not a loan; it should be viewed as money you have earned just like your base pay.
*Active duty military tuition rates are not valid for any Aerospace, Graduate, Law and Medical Programs or self-paced enroll anytime (SPEA) online courses.
- Eligible Service members must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrollment in courses.
- Once enrolled in classes, students must complete paperwork required by their branch of service in order to secure their tuition assistance. Please follow the tuition assistance link for your particular service.
- Email your approved Tuition Assistance Form to Heidi Smart. Heidi is UND's authorized point of contact for all Tuition Assistance.
Direct Admission for Honorably Discharged
For those service members that have been Honorably Discharged from the military, and meet our admission requirements, we gladly offer a Direct Admit option.
Veterans Affairs Chapters Benefits
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides education benefits to eligible service members, veterans and certain dependents and survivors. You may receive financial support for undergraduate and graduate degrees at UND. You may be eligible to receive aid for tuition and fees, books, flight programs, housing, and more.
Receive College Credit for Military Training
Through the General Education Requirement Transfer Agreement (GERTA), current members of the U.S. Armed Forces and its veterans can now receive credit for military training. More than 130 approved military courses have been mapped to UND’s general education categories such as arts and humanities, communications, mathematics, science, social sciences, and technology and will count toward Essential Studies requirements.
Scholarships for Dependents of Deceased and Disabled Veterans
UND has partnered with the Heart of America Patriot Foundation to provide scholarships for dependents of deceased and 100% disabled veterans.
Current and returning UND students can apply for the scholarship, along with many other scholarships, in Scholarship Central by the March 1 deadline for the following academic year.
UND has a dedicated Veteran & Military Services team focused on helping you achieve your goal of earning a degree. Work with them to get the most out of the educational benefits you have earned through your service.
Let UND help you leverage your benefits. To use your military education and tuition benefits, you must first apply to UND following the military admissions process.