Military Admissions Process
UND is proud to serve those who serve our country by providing you with the education and support you deserve.
If you're an active duty military member, veteran or dependent, you must follow the admissions steps outlined below to ensure that any military tuition assistance or education benefits are processed properly.
Military Admissions Process
- Visit with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor to determine what benefits you are eligible to receive.
- Apply to UND as a freshman, transfer student or graduate student. Indicate service member, veteran or military-affiliated on your application.
- Visit Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) to apply for your education benefits and get your Award Letter/Statement of Benefits (COE or NOBE) mailed to you.
- If you are a transfer student who used VA benefits at another school, you must complete the 22-1995: Request for Change of Program/Place of Training form and submit to the VA. Students using Chapter 35 should use form 22-5495.
- Send official transcripts, including Joint Service Transcripts, to UND Admissions.
- Pay $200 deposit to UND Admissions. This deposit will be applied to tuition. Students using Chapter 31 or 33 will receive a refund once the VA has paid tuition charges.
- When you receive your VA education benefits, submit a copy of your award letter (COE or NOBE) to Veteran & Military Services. If you are an Aviation/Aerospace student, you must also submit a Medical Certificate.
- Meet with your UND academic advisor or department to select classes. All majors and minors must be declared in order to be certified/paid by the VA.
- Register for classes in UND Campus Connection.
- Complete the Veteran Certification form. This form must be completed every semester you wish to use your benefits at UND.
- If you qualify for North Dakota in-state tuition rates, you must apply and be approved for the North Dakota resident tuition rate within 30
days of the first day of the semester. You must provide Veteran & Military Services
with the following information prior to the start of the semester to become eligible:
- Student ID Number
- Veteran's DD-214 form
- Birth or marriage certificate
- Dependents of veterans may qualify for UND's Military Dependent Scholarship. Complete UND's Scholarship Central application to qualify. The Military Dependent Scholarship is equivalent to the difference between non-North Dakota tuition and North Dakota resident tuition.
Students that did not indicate military on their UND application must apply and be approved for the North Dakota resident tuition rate within 30 days of the first day of the semester. Students that qualify for North Dakota in-state tuition rates, must provide Veteran & Military Services with the following information prior to the start of the semester to become eligible.
Military Admissions Deadlines
UND students must apply for VA education benefits and complete their UND application by April 30 (summer/fall semesters) or November 30 (spring semester) to be eligible.