Tuition Model FAQs
Students majoring in programs with program-specific tuition will be charged only that single tuition rate, plus mandatory fees.
12 Credit Cap
- On-campus students’ tuition will be capped at 12 credits for all enrollment. This includes on-campus undergraduate, graduate and medical students.
- There is no tuition cap for online students. They will be billed per credit for all enrollment, at their program-specific online tuition rate.
- Law students’ tuition will not be capped and will continue to be billed per credit.
This tuition model was mandated by the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education with the overarching goal of increased transparency and simplicity. UND Student Government was involved from the beginning to ensure student input was included.
This tuition model was developed to improve transparency in billing for all students. The following changes have been implemented to improve student billing as follows:
- Course fees (with a few, limited exceptions) have been rolled into tuition rates. Students no longer will be charged additional course fees based on their course enrollment.
- Program fees have been eliminated and rolled into program-specific tuition rates. Students easily can see what their semester charges will be without the need to add separate program fees.
- On-campus students who choose to take some online courses no longer will be billed for any courses that exceed the 12-credit cap. This gives on-campus students the assurance their tuition will be billed at a program-specific rate — capped at 12 credits and with no additional charges for online courses.
For programs that already had program-specific tuition rates, there is no change to tuition billing. This includes the following programs:
- Medical Lab Science
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Public Health
Use the UND Tuition Calculator to view program-specific rates.
Students double-majoring will be billed at the higher program-specific rate, if there is one.
Major changes submitted prior to the last day to add/drop for the semester will be processed for the current semester. Students will be billed the tuition rate that corresponds with the new major.
Major changes submitted after the last day to add/drop for the semester will take effect for the following semester. The tuition rate will not change until the major change goes into effect for the following semester.
Please note that students may not be eligible to enroll in certain courses or receive scholarships from their programs until their major changes go into effect.
SPEA courses will be billed at the base online tuition rate. These courses do not count toward the 12-credit tuition cap and must be paid upfront before enrolling in the course. SPEA courses are not eligible for federal financial aid or military tuition assistance.
Students can email onestop@UND.edu if they have additional questions about the current tuition model.