Handshake is the number one place for UND students and alumni to search for jobs and internships.
Setting up your Profile
- Log-in with your UND credentials (same as Blackboard).
- From the “For You” page, click on your name at the left.Update the Education section to reflect other schools you may have attended, your graduation date for UND, GPA, etc.The job and internship search pulls from this information.
- Under Organizations/Extracurriculars, add all relevant information.
- Choose Skills at the right.
- Add a bio if you’d like.
- Upload a current resume, unofficial transcript if you choose, etc.
- Connect to your LinkedIn Account and other social media – just be aware of what you have posted on those.
- Add relevant coursework and additional coursework that shows breadth.
- Projects are important – let employers know what you have been working on.
- Click the “Jobs” tab at the top of your page.
- Select the type of job you are searching for from the options circled in blue. Please note, at this time Work Study and other part-time UND jobs are not listed on this site. They can be found at UND Student Employment. Internships at UND, however, can be found on Handshake.
- Narrow down your results by using filters including location, industry, and job function.
- Under “Filters,” select “Employer Preferences” to compare details from your profile (i.e. Majors, School Year, Graduation Date, US Work Authorization and GPA) to jobs that exactly match those specifications. Be sure you have all the information completed to use this feature.
- Make sure to favorite jobs/internships as you review them. View those favorites from the link on the “For You” page or on the “Jobs” page.
- Save the defined search and receive email alerts whenever an employer posts a job that meets that criteria by selecting “Create Search Alert”on the right hand side of the “Jobs” page.
- Do research on employers by going to the “Jobs” tab and selecting “Employers” from the blue bar across the top.
- Under the Jobs tab, in the blue bar across the top, select “On-Campus Interviews.”
- See what’s available that matches your profile.
- Search for or select the company you would like to interview with
- Most companies only allow you to sign-up for an interview after a pre-selection process. If you are selected, you will be able to sign-up for a time on their interview page.
- If you've applied through "On-Campus Interviews" keep an eye on:
- Your email (including your clutter and junk email folders) for an email from: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Handshake, watch your "notifications." If you've applied through On-Campus Interviews, here's where you will see if you've been selected or declined. (Note: To find Notifications, click on your name in the uppder right, then click on Notifications.)
- Find Career Fair information
- Register for events
Report an Experience
Report your “experience” (co-op/internship/other) by selecting Career Center at the top right of your page and use the dropdown function to select Experiences.
From the Experience page you will select Request an Experience and fill out all fields.
Select Create Experience to submit the experience for approval
- Important next step: If you are taking the experience for credit, you must complete the Objectives tab on the top menu. (Some faculty require you to create and discuss these objectives before you formally enter them here.)
- Once completed, Career Services will take it from there.
You’ll find quick links to Starfish (for making an appointment with our staff), information about cover letters, practice interviews, resumes, CV’s, networking, the job searcher, references, etc. Check it out!
- Select Career Center at the top right of your page and use the dropdown function to select Resources.
Not Noticing Your Emails From Handshake?
Check your clutter and junk folders … and check them often. That’s where a lot of the Handshake emails are going.
You can train your Clutter folder. All you need to do is move your Handshake message from there to your inbox. In addition, you might want to consider turning off your clutter folder. Follow these directions.
Handshake Tip: check your “notifications” often right in Handshake. These are located under your profile name in the right corner.
Handshake is a modern platform for college recruiting. Build your best, most diverse team ever! With Handshake, you can:
- access all of your campus recruiting needs in one platform
- increase student engagement
- manage all of your campuses with Handshake at no cost
- update your job positings and view applicatns on your mobile device
New to Handshake? Signing up is easy and takes less than five minutes. Go to the Handshake website. Click on "Sign up for an Account" below the yellow Handshake logo.
Complete the profile information. When you get to your company information, if your company is already listed, please add yourself as a contact. If your company is not listed, consider setting up a company that has your address, website and phone so students can research where they will be working. Select "Create New Company." (UND departments: be sure to creat a "Company Name" with your UND Department. Please include UND in the name (i.e., UND Career Services). NOTE: Do not use University of North Dakota as your company name.
Employers may post any part-time, full-time and internship positions on Handshake.
Once you have set-up your log-in information and completed your employer profile, our office will review your request to have access to Handshake.
- If you are approved, you'll receive an email and from that point on you can enter jobs into the system. Our office also reviews jobs for content, and reserve the right to approve or decline.
- If you are declined, you are welcome to connect with our office to ask about the reason why. Please reach out through Handshake or contact UND.careerservices@UND.edu.
Put Handshake to work for you! From your homepage, you can:
- Post a job
- Request an Interview (on-campus interviews benefit both the employer and the student) Please make this request at least three weeks in advance of the day you are interested in interviewing.
- Create an event (such as an on-campus info session)
- Register for a Career and Internship Fair. (Fairs are held each fall and spring semester. Click on "Fairs" and type University of North Dakota in the "School" search to find availability at UND. Register right in Handshake! (Please note: upon registering, you will be emailed an invoice from our office. Select the link to make your credit card payment or, if you chose the option to pay manually, you may submit the invoice with your check. It is preferred that the payment method on your registration matches what you choose on your invoice.)
- Check out the left navigation bar to find more information on your jobs that are active and expired, along with interviews, events and fairs.
On Campus Interviews
Want a great pool of candidates to apply to your on-campus interview schedule in Handshake?
Outlined below are some ways to be the most effective in your recruitment at UND. Please contact us if you have any questions. We are grateful for the opportunities you offer to UND students, and we want to help you achieve your recruiting goals!
- Simplify your process and use Handshake as your primary source for accepting resumes
through the on-Campus Interviews element of Handshake.
- Many companies are recruiting the same group of students, so it’s important to make the application process simple and clear. If your organization requires additional steps in the process separate from the application on Handshake such as filling out an external application on your website, selecting location preferences, etc., you can email applicants with directions for how to complete those additional items.
- If you have additional timeslots to offer after you’ve reviewed applicants and selected candidates for interviews, you can fill those slots the day of the fair.
- If you choose to fill your entire schedule at the fair, please make a “Rooms Only” request through Handshake. Students will be made aware that you are filling your schedule at the fair by a mark next to your company name on the career fair map.
- Leave dates open as long as possible. Career fairs take place early in the semester,
so students may miss the opportunity to apply if applications close too quickly. We
suggest the following timeline:
- Deadline to Apply: one week before the career fair
- Deadline to make your pre-selections: The day following the “Deadline to Apply”
- Timeslots open to students accepted for interviews: two days after “Deadline to Apply”
- Signup for interview timeslots closes on Handshake to students: 8 a.m. the day prior to the fair
If you have any questions, please contact our office at 701.777.3904 or UND.careerservices@UND.edu.
Thanks for thinking of UND students for your hiring needs!
- Spread the word about Handshake to your students. Please consider adding a link to your Blackboard page or on your syllabus.
- In the classroom, assign students a project of setting up their profile, do a job search, have their resume reviewed by our office and upload it into Handshake for employers to see.
- Contact our office or Request a Classroom Visit for one of our staff members to speak in your classroom about Handshake, the job search, resume and cover letter development, networking, etc.
- Share your company contacts with our office. We will connect and invite those employers to career fairs and to have a presence on Handshake.
- What to see what students see in Handshake, contact our office about setting up your own profile. Contact nancy.nelson@UND.edu or 701.777.4103.