- Student: $243.08
- Student + spouse: $486.17
- Student + children: $653.30
- Student + family: $954.66
Understanding health insurance and navigating health services can be complicated matters in the United States.
Required Health Insurance for International Students
Health care in the United States is expensive, and the individual is responsible for paying the medical costs. The government does not pay for it. Having heath insurance protects the individual by helping pay the medical expenses if he/she should become ill or be involved in an accident. For these reasons, all international students studying in North Dakota are required by the North Dakota University System (NDUS) to purchase the North Dakota state-mandated health insurance policy.
State law mandates that all international students MUST purchase the state health insurance plan, unless a completed waiver application has been approved by the ECI company.
The deadline to apply for a waiver is January 19, 2023, for the Spring 2023 semester.
- Within about a week of enrolling in classes, students should receive an email from the ECI company account, ECI Elev834. That email will allow you opt in to the United Health Care plan or apply for a waiver.
- Opting in to the coverage will allow you to enroll.
- If you wish to apply for a waiver, your alternate insurance plan must meet all of the waiver criteria listed at https://ndus.edu/student-services-overview/health-insurance-waiver/ If your waiver application is denied, you will need to opt into United Health Care and pay the fees.
The premiums for the coming 2022 - 2023 academic year will be:
- Fall (August 16, 2021 - December 31, 2021): $826
- Spring/Summer (January 1, 2022 - August 15, 2022): $1,358
- Annual (August 16, 2021 - August 15, 2022): $2,184
In order to receive a waiver, the alternative coverage must meet very specific criteria, and the coverage will be reviewed closely. Due to changes in the waiver criteria, students who received waivers in the past may no longer qualify. Be prepared to only qualify for a wavier if you have employer-sponsored coverage or national mandatory coverage that is considered comparable to the North Dakota University System provided insurance policy. Students from Canada and Norway are still considered exempt from the insurance requirement.
The UHC insurance plan must be paid by January 25, 2023 for the Spring 2023 semester. For more information, please go to the NDUS website.
Students with unpaid health insurance charges will be disenrolled from courses. The health insurance charge can be paid prior to or upon arrival at the University of North Dakota.
Dental and Vision
Dental and vision insurance can be purchased separately. The enrollment period is August 1, 2021 to August 15, 2022.
- Student: $135.84
- Student + spouse: $257.52
- Student + children: $302.16
- Student + children: $424.92
Health insurance for dependents (spouse and/or children) is not mandatory, but is strongly recommended. Please talk to your advisor once you arrive about purchasing additional health insurance for dependent family members. If you wish to add dependents to the UND health insurance plan, this must be done within 30 days of the start of the insurance plan or of their arrival in the United States, whichever is later.
If you are enrolled in the United Healthcare Student Resources plan offered by the NDUS (North Dakota University System) and are in need of healthcare services, please call UND Student Health Services and schedule appointment. If UND Student Health Services is unable to provide the necessary care you will then be referred to another provider with the appropriate insurance referral in place.
UND Student Health Services
McCannell Hall (Behind Memorial Union)
For detailed coverage information, please go to UHCSR Resources.