J-1 Scholars Maintenance of Status
Arrival at UND
The J-1 Exchange Visitor must make an appointment with International Scholar Services upon arrival at the University of North Dakota. The Exchange Visitor must in-process with International Scholar Services no later than 30 days past the program start date listed on the Form DS-2019.
The J-1 visitor must bring the following documents to this appointment:
- Form(s) DS-2019 for J-1 and any J-2 dependents
- Current passport(s) of J-1 and any J-2 dependents
- Current J-1 and J-2 Visas
- Proof of Health Insurance that meets US Department of State regulations
International Scholar Services will provide the Exchange Visitor a brief nonimmigration orientation to include:
- Form(s) I-94
- Maintenance of J-1/J-2 Exchange Visitor Status
- Employment Issues
- Health Insurance Issues
- Homeland Security requirements concerning address changes
- Exchange Program Extension of Stay possibilities/procedures
- Exchange Program Transfer procedures
- Thirty-Day Grace Period
- Social Security
Health Insurance Application
The North Dakota University System in collaboration with United Healthcare offers a health insurance option for visiting scholars.
Maintaining your Exchange Visitor Status
The Exchange Visitor must adhere to the following requirements to maintain his/her visa status while at the University of North Dakota.
- Maintain the following required documentation:
- Valid SEVIS Form DS-2019
- Valid passport
- Valid Form I-94
- Engage in appropriate activities. Each category of J-1 visitor has a definition and expectations for the activities of the Exchange Visitor, which must be met. For example, a Research Scholar is here to research, and a Professor is here to teach.
- Be employed only with authorization.
- Carry Health Insurance that includes Medical Evacuation and Repatriation at all times for self and J-2 dependents.
- Inform International Scholar Services of any address changes.