Students who wish to change their status have two options:
- Return to their home country and apply for the new visa type at the embassy/consulate. This is typically the faster option.
- Apply to change status in the United States. This is the cheaper option, but can take 3-12 months for approval.
Students who wish to change status in the United States must do so using the Form I-539. To access that form, and find instructions for completing it, visit USCIS' I-539 website.
Students who want to change to F or J from another status will need to first get an I-20 or DS-2019. If you wish to change to F-1 or J-1 status and are currently a UND student, you will just need to provide the International Center with updated financial documents and they can create an I-20 or DS-2019 for you within 2-5 business days. You can contact an International Student Advisor with questions or schedule an appointment.
You can schedule an appointment through Starfish. There are two ways to access Starfish:
A. Through Blackboard
- Log into Blackboard
- On the left side under “Tools” select “Starfish”
- In Starfish, select “My Success Network” (on the left side)
- Search for “Rhodes” or “Senger” in the search bar
- Click members
- Click on “Schedule Appointments”
B. Through My UND
- Navigate to und.edu
- Click on "My UND"
- Scroll to the bottom, choose "Starfish"
- Search for "Rhodes or Senger"
Students who are not currently studying at UND and would like to change status at UND must first be admitted. Undergraduate students should contact the Office of Undergradaute Admissions:
Undergraduate Admissions Questions
Please direct all undergraduate admissions documentation and inquiries to:
University of North Dakota
3501 University Ave Stop 8357
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8357
United States of America
Tel: (00 +1) 701.777.3000
Fax: (00 +1) 701.777.2721
Graduate Admissions Questions
Please direct all admissions documentation and inquiries to: