Inviting Family to the US
You may want to invite family members to visit.
Visa Application and Interview Documentation
Use these documentation suggestions to help with your family member's visa application at a U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country.
Please note that providing this information does not guarantee your family member’s visa approval. Ultimately, it is up to your family member to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.
Letter of Invitation
Provide a letter of invitation, making sure to emphasize their relationship to you and their intent to return home following their visit. If you will be providing financial support, include that in your letter.
Confirmation of your student status:
- Graduate students who hold an assistantship appointment may want to also attach a departmental funding letter.
- Undergraduate students may request Enrollment Verification.
- Graduate students may request a student status verification letter from their department. An example letter can be found here: Departmental Status Letter.
- If you will be graduating and want your family to attend commencement, make sure to provide information about the Commencement Ceremony.
- For additional information about U.S. consulate/embassy locations and application procedures, please visit U.S Department of State.