All international students are required to file tax forms, even if you did not work.
All International Students in F-1 and J-1 status need to file at least one form: Form 8843 regardless of whether or not they earned income. Students who earned income (other than bank interest) may have to report that on other forms. The International Center staff is not trained to assist students with filing their taxes.
- Tax forms are reports about your earnings and activities during the previous year.
- If you were not in the United States during the previous year, you do not have to file tax forms.
- If you were here even one day in the previous year, you may need to file forms.
- All tax forms are available online. There are links are provided at the top of this page. You may also find them by going directly to the IRS website and the North Dakota State Tax Department website.
- If you require additional assistance in filing your taxes, you may seek assistance from one of the resources listed above or from a private preparer (who you pay).
If you did work or received a taxable scholarship in the previous year, you should have received an email from the UND Payroll Office.
If you did NOT work or receive a taxable scholarship in the previous year:
- You only need to fill out Form 8843.
- You need to fill out Part 1, Part 3, and sign the bottom of the second page
- For Part 3 question #9, enter the following:
University of North Dakota
264 Centennial Drive
Grand Forks, ND 58202
- Mail your form to:
Department of the Treasury
International Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215
You will need to complete your Federal taxes before doing your North Dakota taxes.
There is software that will help you with your federal taxes. You should have received an access code from UND Payroll for the software. If you did not receive your access code, please contact the Payroll Office at 701.777.4227.
North Dakota Taxes
To figure out if your country has a tax treaty, check the list of countries the U.S. has treaties with.
Forms that you may need:
- North Dakota Form ND-1
- North Dakota Schedule ND-1NR (Not everyone has to fill out the ND-1NR)
- North Dakota Booklet (tax tables on page 20)
If you have any questions regarding North Dakota Income Tax or completing your North Dakota Tax return, please contact the North Dakota Tax Department by calling 701.328.1260.