OPT & STEM Application Instructions
- OPT Reporting Form – This form must be submitted online prior to the issuance of your STEM Extension I-20. You do not need a hard copy of this form.
- Form I-765 - See I-765 Instruction Page
- Copy of signed OPT STEM Extension I-20 (Keep the original)
- Form G-1145: Complete all fields
- This form authorizes USCIS to send electronic updates in addition to regular mail. Please note that this form is not required, but if it is not included USCIS will only send notification by U.S. Postal Service.
- The most current form can be found at https://www.uscis.gov/g-1145
- Completed Form I-983: Student and employer must fully complete pages 1-4 of form I-983.
- The current version of Form I-983 is available at: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/form-i-983-overview
- The Form I-983 is NOT submitted to USCIS in the application packet. It is instead submitted to and retained by the International Center.
- Official Transcript – it must indicate the degree level and title of major/degree program.
- Two new identical "natural color" passport photos – These are passport-style photos that are fewer than 30 days old. For more details on the photograph specifications, please go to: http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/composition/composition_874.html
- Copy of your MOST RECENT Form I-94: Your official form I-94 can be retrieved
and printed from: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/
- Copy of BOTH your passport photo/information page showing the passport expiration date AND your most recent U.S. visa.
- Copies of all current or previous EAD cards.
- Application Fee - The cost is $410. Personal checks or money orders must be in the exact amount and payable to "United States Department of Homeland Security." Personal checks are preferable to money orders, because they can more easily be traced in case of problems.
- Complete the three items in the checklist above (OPT Reporting Form, Form I-765, and form I-983)
- Scan and email the Form I-765, and form I-983 to an International Student Advisor. Include your full name UND Student ID (EMPLID), and mailing address in the e-mail.
- The International Center will review the submitted documentation and issue you a new I-20 recommending the OPT Extension. You will receive two new I-20s. The first I-20 is for the STEM Extension application packet for USCIS, while the second I-20 is for your own records and use. Both I-20s will be sent to you via USPS mail service.
- Upon receipt of the new I-20s, sign the student signature line on page 1.
- Compile the Extension application in the following order:
- Application Fee
- Passport Photos (write your name, Date of birth and I-94 number on the back of each photo)
- Form I-765 (original)
- Form G-1145 (original)
- Copy of OPT extension I-20 that you received from your International Student Advisor (you should keep the original)
- Copies of any I-20s that have previous OPT or CPT authorization
- Official transcript
- Letter from your employer
- A copy of your MOST RECENT Form I-94
- A copy of passport photo/information page showing the passport expiration date
- A copy of your most recent U.S. visa.
- Copies of all current and previous EAD cards.
- Make a photocopy of the entire application packet for your records
- Send the application via UPS, FedEx or Certified U.S. Mail with Return Receipt to the appropriate U.S. Service Center serving your residence (see attached Service Center Filing Chart or go to http://www.uscis.gov). If there are any problems with your application, you will need the mailing receipt and/or tracking information for your packet. Do not send your application via regular mail. *IMPORTANT* USCIS must receive and log your application within 30 days of the issue date of your I-20. Late applications will be denied.
- When a decision is made, please send a photocopy of your results and new documents to an International Student Advisor
USCIS Phoenix and Dallas Lockbox facilities
For Filing Form I-765
|If you live in:||Mail your application to:|
USCIS Phoenix Lockbox
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:
For Express mail and courier deliveries:
USCIS Dallas Lockbox
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
For Express mail and courier deliveries: