How-to guides and FAQs


FAFSA opens up October 1 of each year, and UND's priority deadline is February 1 for the fall semester. It's important that you submit your FAFSA by the priority deadline so that you don't lose out on potential funding, such as federal-based or institutional aid. 

In general, yes. Even if your parents don't contribute money toward your education, you're considered a dependent and will need to report their tax information. However, if any of the following describe you, your parents will not need to report their information:

  • You are 24 or older.
  • You are married.
  • You will be enrolling in courses for a master's or doctoral program.
  • You are a veteran or on active duty (not during training).
  • You have children or legal dependents (other than a spouse) who will receive more than half of their support from you.
  • When you were 13 or older, both of your parents were deceased, you were in foster care or a ward of the court.
  • You are an emancipated minor.
  • You are in legal guardianship as determined by a court.
  • You are an unaccompanied youth who is determined to be homeless by your high school, school district homeless liaison, a director of an emergency shelter program, runaway or homeless youth basic center, or a transitional living program.

If your parents are required to report their tax information on your FAFSA and choose not to, you'll only be eligible for Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Please notify UND One-Stop Student Services if you're going to utilize this option.  

When completing the FAFSA, please report information about yourself and your "custodial parent," the parent you've lived with the most during the last 12 months. If your parents shared custody, report the income of the one you lived with the most or who provides 51% of your support. 

Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is used to calculate the amount of federal student aid you're eligible to receive.

EFC is calculated based on the financial information reported on your FAFSA and includes:

  • Your parents' contribution from income and assets
  • Your contribution and assets
  • Number of people in household
  • Number of people in college
  • Taxed and untaxed income
  • Taxes paid
  • Certain assets
  • Number of wage earners

EFC isn't a judgment about how much your family should be able to pay; instead, it's an estimate of their capacity to absorb the costs of education over time.

Your financial need is the difference between our estimate of your cost of attending UND and the amount federal and state governments expect you and your family to contribute to those costs.

The calculation is:

Cost of Attendance (COA) – Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need

For example, if the COA is $21,000 and your EFC is $7,000, then your financial need will be $14,000. If your EFC is more than your COA, your financial need will be considered $0.

A work-study award on your award letter means you're eligible for Federal Work-Study employment; it's not a guarantee of a job.

FWS employees are paid an hourly rate. The funds won't be applied to your account; instead, you'll receive a paycheck twice a month.

If you begin running low on FWS funding, please have your supervisor contact Career Services.

When you're awarded financial aid, you'll receive an award letter sent to your UND student email address. If you haven't already, claim your account with the ND University System in order to activate your student email. The award letter will also appear in CampusConnection under "Communications" on the right of the page. 

Accept/Decline Financial Aid

  • Within your Student Center, click Accept/Decline Awards in Finances
  • Click desired Aid Year, highlighted in blue
  • Accept or decline desired individual awards
  • Click Submit

If you've accepted financial aid, it will automatically be applied to your account. Financial aid is normally applied after the last day to add/drop a course. The Student Financial Aid Office will verify that the number of credits you're enrolled in corresponds with the amount of aid you'll be receiving. Any adjustments will be made to your account before aid is applied. 

In general, you must be enrolled full-time as an undergraduate (at least 12 credits per semester) or enrolled in at least 5 credits per semester as a graduate or law student to receive financial aid. In some cases, you may qualify for limited financial aid as a part-time student (6 credits as an undergraduate). If you are enrolled in less than 5 credits you may still qualify for Federal Pell Grant, ND State Grant and some types of UND scholarships and private loans.  

A financial aid advisor may adjust your EFC if the advisor believes your family's financial circumstances aren't accurately represented in the FAFSA. The advisor won't make this adjustment automatically; you must provide valid, substantiated reasons for it. Reasons may include a decrease in income, death of a family member, divorce, non-reimbursed employee expenses or others.

You can apply for an adjustment by filling out a Contribution Adjustment Form. Normal processing time for a contribution adjustment is 15-30 days once documentation is received. 

We'll do everything possible to help you cover your bill, but if federal aid is not enough we encourage you to apply for private scholarships and use scholarship search services. Current UND students can check out Scholarship Central (UND's scholarship database) to find scholarships in our academic departments.

Student Account Services offers a payment plan, and UND works with various lenders that offer private education loans to help cover the cost of your remaining balance. FASTChoice can help you compare lenders, interest rates, borrowing amounts, and loan eligibility

Payments and Billing

Do not throw away your Refund Choice Selection Packet.

  • The Refund Choice Selection Packet is needed to select your preference for receiving excess financial aid and other refunds.
  • The Refund Choice Selection Packet is mailed to your home address in Campus Connection.
  • Choose your refund preference at
  • Refund options include:
    • Direct deposit to your existing bank account.
    • Deposit to a "Vibe" with Bank Mobile.

You are required to pay all charges to your Campus Connection account within 30 days of the charge being posted, unless another due date is specified. If you don't pay the charges within that time, a past due balance will be placed on your account. If you have a past due balance, you will not be allowed to register; receive a transcript of records; receive certification of academic credits, grades, or diplomas; or receive degrees of graduation until the delinquent account balance is paid in full.

If you have unpaid charges after the deadline, you will be assessed a monthly late payment fee of 1.75% of the total past-due charges. Charges are considered past due once they are more than 30 days past their due date.

Make a Payment

  • Within your Student Center, click Pay Online Now in Finances
  • Once within the Campus Connection/Touchnet Secured Site, click Make a Payment
  • You can choose to pay by balance, amount due, or term

Purchase a Parking Permit

  • Click on Main Menu
  • Click Self-Service
  • Click Parking Permits
  • Follow the prompts for the University of North Dakota

Deposit money into flight account

  • Within your Student Center, click Pay Online Now in Finances
  • Within the Campus Connection/Touchnet secure website, select Make a Payment
  • Select eDeposits
  • Select your desired term
  • Click Select Deposit Payment and choose UND Aviation Prepayment

Use our free e-Check option to pay any amount that you owe on your account. All you need is your bank routing number and account number. Paying online is the safest and quickest way to pay on your account. The payment will be reflected on your Campus Connection Account immediately.

Make online payments to your account:

  1. Log into Campus Connection.
  2. Go to "Student Center."
  3. Click "Pay Online Now."

There is a 2.85% fee if paying by credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover).

The Payment Options and Payment Plans pages can provide you more information.

  1. Log into Campus Connection.
  2. Under finances section in Student Center, select Account Summary.

You may qualify for reduced tuition rate, please see the following:


You may purchase a parking permit online in Campus Connection under Self Service. We also have a computer available in One-Stop for you to make online purchases. Payment options include e-Check, credit card or charge to your UND student account up until the first two weeks of fall semester.

You should report a lost or stolen permit to Parking Services or One-Stop as soon as possible because you are responsible for any citations issued to your permit. If you aren't able to locate your permit, you'll need to purchase a replacement to continue to park on campus. Replacement permits are $30 for students and $40 for faculty or staff. 


The Financial Obligation Agreement must be completed in Campus Connection before enrollment in classes for a specific semester will be allowed.


  1. Log into Campus Connection.
  1. Click "Financial Obligation Agreement" (under Finances section).
  • Within your Student Center, click Enroll in Academics
  • Select the Term/Semester if needed
  • Click Continue
  • You can search for classes in two ways 
  • You must ALWAYS checkout through your shopping cart to fully enroll

 Class Number

  • Enter the Class Nbr (a 4 or 5 digit number associated with the individual section of the course)
  • Click Enter
  • Specify any class preferences if available/desired/required (ex. waitlist option, permission number, units, etc.)
  • Click Next
  • Your chosen course has now been added to your shopping cart

Class Search

  • Select Course Subject from the dropdown box (ex. Biology)
  • Enter Course Number (optional) (ex. 150)
  • Select the appropriate Course Career (ex. undergraduate)
    • Optional: Remove the check from the Open Classes Only box to find all possible classes
  • Click Search
  • Find desired class
  • Click Select Class button on desired class
  • Specify any class preferences if available/desired/required (ex. waitlist option, permission number, units, etc.)
  • Click Next
  • Your chosen course has now been added to your shopping cart 

To finish enrolling, checkout your shopping cart.

  • Access your shopping cart
  • Review courses listed 
  • Click Proceed to Step 2 of 3
  • Review your chosen courses one final time
  • Click Finish Enrolling
  • Read your messages 
    • Green ✓ = success, you have been enrolled
    • Red X = error, your chosen class was not added
      • Please read the error message for the reason you were not enrolled into the course
  1. Log in to CampusConnection
  2. Click 'Self Service' > 'Enrollment' > 'My Class Schedule'
  3. Select Term (semester)
  4. Modify Class Schedule Filter Options (enrolled, dropped, and waitlisted classes), if desired
  5. Click 'filter' button
  6. Click 'Printer Friendly Page' link at the bottom of the schedule
  7. Click 'Print' from the browser menu bar

    If you wish to display only those courses in which you are enrolled, make sure you have unchecked the Show Dropped Courses box. You may also view your Weekly Schedule by going to: 'Self Service' > 'Enrollment' > 'My Weekly Schedule'
  •  Within your Student Center, click My Academics in Academics 
  • Click on View my Advisement Report, located to the right of Academic Requirements
    • From this page, you can expand or collapse your desired information
    • Courses will be marked with corresponding taken, in progress, and planned icons throughout the report
    • To access a printer-friendly version, click the green View Report as PDF at the top
  • To the right of your Student Center, locate the vertical blue box titled Enrollment Dates
  • Your enrollment dates will appear in the box
  • Click the highlighted link to view your specific enrollment appointment time
    • Enrollment appointments are based upon the number of your completed credits
    • Overrides and Collaborative Registration cannot be submitted to the Registrar's Office until on or after your enrollment appointment time 
  • Within your Student Center, click My Academics in Academics
  • Click on View my Unofficial Transcript, located to the right of Transcript 
  • In the first dropdown box, assure University of North Dakota is selected
  • In the second dropdown box, choose either PDF Transfer Details or PDF Transfer Summary
    • If you are not a transfer student, the generated reports will be identical


You need to make Satisfactory Academic Progress to continue receiving federal student aid. At UND, SAP requires that you:

  • Achieve an institutional cumulative GPA of 2.0
  • Successfully complete 66.67% of the credits you attempt
  • Obtain a degree within 187 credits

The Student Financial Aid Office evaluates SAP at the end of each semester. If you fail to meet SAP, you'll receive an email to your UND email account and a negative service indicator will be placed on your account, indicating that you have a SAP hold.

There are 3 different types of SAP holds:

  1. Financial Aid Disqualification: You don't meet one or more of the conditions of SAP and are ineligible for all aid that requires SAP.
  2. Financial Aid Warning: You don't meet the completion rate and/or GPA conditions of SAP, but met all conditions at the beginning of the previous semester. You're eligible for one additional semester of aid requiring SAP (e.g., you don't meet SAP after the fall semester, but are given a warning email and given the spring semester to try to meet SAP).
  3. Financial Aid Information Only: You're close to not meeting one or more SAP requirements.

If you withdraw from courses, your financial aid eligibility will be reviewed. If you were awarded a Federal Pell Grant, your academic attendance/academic participation will be confirmed for the withdrawn course. In addition, continually dropping courses may put you at risk of not meeting SAP. 

To receive financial aid for summer semester, you must have filled out the prior year's FAFSA and be enrolled in a minimum of 6 semester-based credits for the summer as an undergraduate student, 5 credits as a grad student or 3 credits as a law student. Once registered, you must also fill out the Request for Summer Financial Aid Form.

Keep in mind that because summer semester is considered the final part of the current academic year, your ability to receive summer financial aid depends on the amount of federal aid you've already received for the fall and spring semesters. If you've already accepted the full amount for the current academic year, you may to explore applying for a Federal Direct PLUS or private education loan.

If you want to withdraw from school, you must fill out the Cancellation/Withdrawal Form, available from the Office of the Registrar. You cannot officially withdraw from school online using Campus Connection.

Completely withdrawing from all of your courses at UND may mean that you are eligible to get a refund on your tuition and fees (check the Events Calendar on One-Stop's homepage). However, keep in mind that if you are a financial aid recipient, you might also be required to return some of your financial aid to the federal government.

Remember: UND has a lot of services available to help you be successful. Before withdrawing, contact One-Stop and we'll be happy to talk about these resources.

Schools Out

If you are a current student, you can view and print an unofficial copy of your transcript through Campus Connection:

  • Within your Student Center, click My Academics in Academics
  • Click on View my Unofficial Transcript, located to the right of Transcript
  • In the first dropdown box, assure University of North Dakota is selected
  • In the second dropdown box, choose either PDF Transfer Details or PDF Transfer Summary
    • If you are not a transfer student, the generated reports will be identical

Whether you are a current student, former student or UND alumni and need an official transcript, you can request one through the National Student Clearinghouse. These transcripts will be sent to you only through the United States Postal Service or FedEx (extra fees apply). 

If you need help or have questions about receiving an official transcript, contact or call 703.742.7791.

In some cases you may be asked for written verification that you are enrolled as a student at UND. Insurance companies, for instance, may request this information to ensure that you are eligible for a discounted rate, or you may receive this request when applying for scholarships.

For most requests, you can access Campus Connection to print out an unofficial Enrollment Verification Certificate that shows you are a student at UND.

  • Log in to Campus Connection
  • At the top within Main Menu, click on Self Service
  • Click on Academic Records and then Enrollment Verification 
  • Select University of North Dakota and click Self-Service Enrollment Verification 
  • Depending on your need, select all enrollment or current enrollment and Obtain an Enrollment Certificate 

In some cases, the requester may specifically require an official verification form on University letterhead. Please contact the Registrar's Office to obtain this form. Official verification of enrollment forms are available from the University beginning the first day of the semester. There is no cost for verifications.

You can quickly and easily check your grades using Campus Connection:

  • Log in to Campus Connection
  • Within your Student Center, click on Other Academic in the dropdown box in Academics 
  • Select Grades
  • Click the Go button
  • The following screen will either default to the current term or will prompt you to select your desired term 

Congratulations! If you have completed the requirements for your major and UND's credit requirements, you are eligible to apply for graduation.

Follow the steps in the Graduation Checklist to apply for graduation.

UND welcomes transfer students and makes every attempt to accept college-level credits from regionally accredited U.S. institutions of higher education. In some cases however, courses will not transfer to UND. Examples include:

  • Remedial or preparatory courses
  • Credit granted for life experience by other institutions
  • Institution-based credit by examination
  • Non-degree continuing education courses

Academic departments will determine if the transferred credits will apply to your specific major and degree program.

For more information about transferring to UND, see the Transfer Program Agreements and Course Equivalencies from other institutions or to the Transfer Student Admission Information


Visit the Change Password page and follow the steps to change your password. Most systems that require the NDUS.Identifier for a login will update immediately.


Appointments are only available to students who are in a specific relationship with individuals. If you can't select a reason, it's because you are not in the right relationship with the individual for that appointment. In most cases, this will be because the appointment is only available to students who are assigned to that particular academic adviser. In these cases, the appointment should not even be visible to you, and we have reported the bug to Starfish.

Your advisor or instructors might not be assigned yet. Check back later or contact your college advising office for additional assistance.

For the following issues, click here to submit a Support Ticket to Shari Nelson, Assessment & Systems Administrator, 701.777.0562,

Technical issues (difficulty signing on)

  1. Questions about progress surveys
  2. Adding a student services office/staff into Starfish
  3. General troubleshooting
  4. General Starfish questions

For college specific questions such as setting up your Starfish Calendar and documenting student contacts, contact the appropriate individual below:  

  • Aerospace
    • Colt Iseminger
  • Arts & Sciences    
    • Karyn Plumm
    • Kayla Hotvedt
  • Business & Public Administration        
    • Katie Burns
  • Education & Human Development
    • Patrick Bugliosi
    • Kasey Young
  • Engineering & Mines            
    • Jordan Eberhardt
    •  Jeremy Malheim
  • Medicine & Health Sciences
    • Shari Nelson
  • Nursing & Professional Disciplines
    • Jacob Chaput

Student Information

The FERPA Privacy Release form allows you and those you designate to obtain financial information on your Campus Connection account.

A security code is required to be established and provided to those you authorize.

Privacy Release Form (FERPA)

  • Within your Student Center in Personal Information, you can update any phone numbers, emails, addresses, etc.
    • This will not impact your legal name.  Legal name changes must be processed through the Office of the Registrar
    • Your official form of communication with UND is your address

To login to CampusConnection, be sure you have claimed your NDUS Account and know your username and password. If you do not have your username and password or have forgotten them, please visit for assistance managing your NDUS Account.


Your student email account is the official means of communication used by UND. It is important to check your student email account on a regular basis. > Claim Your Account

To forward your student email to another email address:

  1. Log into your student email account
  2. Options > See All Options
  3. Select "Forward your e-mail"
  4. Enter your preferred email address

Only select, "Don't leave a copy on the server," if you are going to have your student email forwarded to your preferred email.

If you would like, you can also enter your family's email address, so they receive copies of all the messages sent to your student email account.

If a family member or other outside party helps with your finances, you can set them up as an Authorized User. This will allow them to view your monthly e-Bill and make online payments and deposits on your behalf.

To set up an Authorized User:

  • Log in to Campus Connection
  • Within your Student Center, click Pay Online Now in Finances
  • Click Authorized Users near the top within the gray bar
  • Add email addresses of authorized user(s)

Authorized users receive monthly e-Bill notifications at the beginning of each month.