Residence Halls and Apartment Style Housing will remain open during breaks.
During official University Breaks, students will be able to stay in their residence hall or apartment style housing, but will be charged a daily room and meal fee over the semester winter break.
- Current residents continuing to live on campus for the remainder semester will retain access to housing and dining at no additional charge.
- Some break periods may require registration prior to staying. If registration is required, students will be notified through UND email.
- During regular breaks, Dining Services will remain open or provide limited options to students for meal periods when operations are closed. Learn more about Dining during breaks.
- Staff will be available during the break periods. There is a Resident Assistant on Duty for your building after hours. Duty phone numbers are posted at the entrances of the building and at the hall office. Contact the Housing & Residence Life Office during regular business hours.
Students are asked to complete the following tasks prior to leaving their space for an extended period of time. These tasks will help ensure the building will remain safe and secure. During some breaks, staff will conduct safety and security checks to ensure tasks are completed.
- Unplug everything in the room (exceptions: fish tanks, fridges, and computers).
- Leave blinds open about a foot or 12 inches.
- Verify window is completely closed and locked. As a reminder, window displays and clings are not permitted.
- Remove garbage from your room and dump your trash in the garbage room or dumpster.
- Leave the heat between 68 and 70 degrees (if you have a thermostat in your room).
- Remove all items from suite and bathroom areas.
Anticipated Break Periods
The university observes Thanksgiving Break and anticipates not having classes the Wednesday before through the Friday following the holiday.
Must Be Continuing in Spring
Students who are wishing to stay in the Residence Halls between the Saturday after the semester finishes and the Sunday before the spring semester starts must be registered for classes for the following spring semester to continue to have access to housing and dining at no additional charge.
Approved Housing Cancellations
Students who have applied and been approved for a housing cancellation should follow the move-out steps to officially check out of their residence hall. Current residents who will be leaving campus housing permanently after the fall semester can request an extension once the Residence Hall Cancellation Request has been submitted and approved.
Extension requests past the Sunday following the semester finish are subject to approval by the Housing & Residence Life Office and will be charged a daily rate for room and meals. All charges will be reflected on your student account in Campus Connection 3-5 business days after final checkout.
The university observes a week-long spring break that is anticipated during the second or third week of March.