Polling software allows students in classes to instantly provide feedback, answer questions, and vote. PointSolutions is the standard adopted by the University of North Dakota, however polling is also available in Zoom and there are free polling applications, such as Kahoot! (limited support).
UND is currently piloting a campus-wide license of the polling and Q&A software, Vevox. Vevox is an easy-to-use platform that can be used both inside and outside the classroom at no cost to faculty/staff or students. With Vevox, users can build and deploy polls or surveys, host question and answer sessions, and review your response metrics through a data analytics dashboard. Vevox works on both computers and mobile devices with no downloads or installations required. Vevox integrates into PowerPoint, MS Teams, Zoom, and Blackboard.
Using polling software can significantly change classroom interaction by enabling instructors to assess students' knowledge, keep their attention, provide immediate feedback, and encourage all students to participate.
PointSolutions (formerly Turning Point)
PointSolutions (formerly Turning Point) is the standard polling software adopted by the University of North Dakota.
Students may respond by using a "clicker" (a handheld device that allows them to vote or make a selection by pressing a button), or by setting up PointSolutions mobile on a web-enabled device such as a cell phone, laptop or mobile device. ResponseCards (clickers) can be purchased from the UND Bookstore or the PointSolutions website. Check for updated pricing.
For courses that are using PointSolutions, students must create an account and purchase a PointSolutions license code. The license code is required regardless of which device is used.
- Review the help articles on the PointSolutions website .
- Make sure a receiver is installed in the classroom that will be used. To check if a receiver is installed or to request that one be installed, contact UIT Classroom Services at 701.777.6325.
- Go to PointSolutions and create an account using your @UND.edu email address. Note: Students must also use their @UND.edu email address when creating their account in order for their grades to sync within Blackboard.
- Contact the UND Bookstore to let them know you will be using ResponseCards (Clickers) in your course, and let them know how many students are registered. Advise students to purchase a ResponseCard or to obtain the PointSolutions mobile program on a web-enabled device, if you wish to use that feature. Students will also need to purchase a license code to use with the ResponseCard or PointSolutions mobile.
Training and Tutorials
Register a PointSolutions Account through Blackboard.
- Log into the Blackboard course in which you will use PointSolutions.
- Click Tools from the left menu.
- Click TurningPoint Registration - UND Link.
- Enter your school or organization email address and click Create.
- Check your email and click the link to verify your PointSolutions account.
- Enter all required fields as noted by the asterisks.
- Enter and confirm your password in the fields provided.
- Click Finish.
- Click Finish again.
Adding a Course from Blackboard
- Sign into your PointSolutions account. The Turning Web dashboard will display.
- Under Available Courses, click Connect on each course you want to sync to PointSolutions. The courses will move to Current Courses.
Through the Blackboard integration with PointSolutions account you can email participants to remind that they need to create an account, register a license or a device.
- Sign in to your PointSolutions account. The PointSolutions Web instructor dashboard will display.
- Locate the Course you wish to email students.
- Click View.
- Click Email Students in the upper right hand corner.
- Select desired option(s).
- Click Send.
Updating Courses from PointSolutions Web
- Log into your PointSolutions account. The Turning Web instructor dashboard displays.
- Locate the Course to update.
- Click View.
- Click Update Course in the right hand corner.
- Launch Turning.
Using a Downloaded Course
A course list from Turning Account can be loaded into Turning Desktop to track participant results.
- Open TurningPoint 8 and sign into your account.
- From the Polling tab, select the course and the polling environment.
- Run and save the session.
- Close the polling environment to return to the Desktop Dashboard.
Uploading Grades to Blackboard Sync
Grades can be uploaded to Blackboard directly from the course within the Manage tab.
- Open the TurningPoint 8 and sign into your account.
- Select the Manage tab.
- Select the course.
- Click Upload Grades.
- Select the grade columns you want to upload and select Upload.
If using PowerPoint Polling, the software will look like PowerPoint with the addition of a PowerPoint Cloud ribbon. This help guide provides details for setting up PowerPoint polling.
- Ask Meaningful Questions - Learn how to engage students by asking the right type of questions.
- PowerPoint Polling - Learn how to get started with PowerPoint polling
- PointSolutions for Inclusive Learning video
- Enhanced Analytics with PointSolutions video
- Turning receivers are available upon request. Contact Classroom Services at 701.777.6325 to see if the room you are teaching in is set up for Turning or to request a receiver.
- Most rooms are set to use channel 41 by default. If you feel there is interference because a nearby classroom is using the same channel, contact Classroom Services using the phone on the podium or by calling 777.6325.
- After the participant list has been loaded for a course, use the update feature to pull newly added/dropped students and ResponseCard/Turning mobile information instead of loading it again. The update option can be found in the Integrations section.
- It is recommended to use 32-bit Microsoft Office with Turning Clickers. The 64-bit Microsoft Office can potentially cause issues with TurningPoint mobile working properly. If you need help with installing 32-bit Microsoft Office, please contact UND Tech Support.
Student Support: Turning Technical Support
Monday - Friday 8am - 9pm EST
The Zoom polling feature allows the meeting host/instructor to add interaction by creating single choice or multiple choice polling questions prior to meetings or class sessions. The poll can be launched during the Zoom session to gather responses from attendees. The host/instructor also has the ability to download a report of polling after the meeting. Polls can also be conducted anonymously, if you do not wish to collect participant information with the poll results.
Attendess may participate in Zoom polls using their desktop or the free Zoom mobile app for iOS or Android devices. The meeting host must use the Zoom desktop client to manage polling.
UND is offering Vevox to campus as part of a campus-wide pilot program to determine if such a product solution provides a meaningful impact to our campus' needs. As the pilot progresses, UIT and TTaDA plan to seek product feedback from Vevox users to gauge usage, interest, and enjoyability of the product.
Vevox allows for the creation and deployment of polls, simple surveys (not intended to replace the robust features of Qualtrics), as well as allowing participants to submit questions to a Q&A board during sessions. Creating a Vevox account is as simple as going to our Vevox login page and clicking "Login with SSO." Your NDUS.identifier (firstname.lastname) account will be provided with the full suite of tools that Vevox offers, again at no charge to you, your department, or your poll/survey participants. Vevox allows for up to 5000 concurrent participants on a given session so you will have no trouble ensuring you can reach absolutely everyone in your class, meeting, committee, or conference.
- Presentation hosts can create a Vevox account by going to our Vevox login page and click "Login with SSO." Login with your NDUS.identifier (firstname.lastname).
- Participants do not need to create a Vevox account. Sessions using the Blackboard integration will automatically pass student Blackboard credentials through the integration for grade passthrough.
- Vevox provides a 10-minute primer video that quickly covers the basics of the product. Please note that video references to account creation and upgrading are not relevant for UND users with our campus license.
Specific Feature How-To's:
Vevox has provided the following video tutorials on specific features of their product.
- Create session and launch poll (1:35 minutes)
- Joining and interacting with a Vevox session – participant view (4:24 minutes)
- Polling (7:16 minutes)
- Q&A (1:46 minutes)
- Moderation (9:22 minutes)
- Surveys (2:21 minutes)
- Quiz (3:17 minutes)
- Question type playlist (11 videos, most are 1-2 minutes)
Vevox has provided the following video tutorials on specific integrations of their product.
- PowerPoint (4:37 minutes)
- When logging into the Vevox add-in in PowerPoint, use your @und.edu email address to be brought to the NDUS login screen that many UND systems use. Your @ndus.edu address may not trigger this process, please use @und.edu.
- MS Teams (6:00 minutes)
- Zoom (2:06 minutes)
- Blackboard – UND Created tutorials (coming soon)
- Original Course Experience
- Ultra Course Experience
Pedagogical Impact Series:
Vevox periodically hosts an education series webinar where faculty guest speakers discuss their novel uses and impacts of Vevox in the classroom.
- Education Series (most videos are between 30 and 60 minutes long)
Help and Additional Training:
UND Vevox users can request support and training from UND staff.