Polling software allows students in classes to instantly provide feedback, answer
questions, and vote. Turning is the standard adopted by the University of North Dakota,
however polling is also available in Zoom and there are free polling applications,
such as Kahoot! (limited support).
Using polling software can significantly change classroom interaction by enabling instructors to assess students' knowledge, keep their attention, provide immediate feedback, and encourage all students to participate.
Turning is the standard polling software adopted by the University of North Dakota.
Students may respond by using a "clicker" (a handheld device that allows them to vote or make a selection by pressing a button), or by setting up Turning mobile on a web-enabled device such as a cell phone, laptop or mobile device. ResponseCards (clickers) can be purchased from the UND Bookstore or the Turning website. Check for updated pricing.
For courses that are using Turning, students must create an account and purchase a Turning license code. The license code is required regardless of which device is used.
- Review the video tutorials on the Turning webiste.
- Make sure a receiver is installed in the classroom that will be used. To check if a receiver is installed or to request that one be installed, contact UIT Classroom Services at 701.777.6325.
- Go to Turning and create an account using your @UND.edu email address. Note: Students must also use their @UND.edu email address when creating their account in order for their grades to sync within Blackboard.
- Contact the UND Bookstore to let them know you will be using ResponseCards (Clickers) in your course, and let them know how many students are registered. Advise students to purchase a ResponseCard or to obtain the Turning mobile program on a web-enabled device, if you wish to use that feature. Students will also need to purchase a license code to use with the ResponseCard or Turning mobile.
Training and Tutorials
Register a Turning Account through Blackboard.
- Log into the Blackboard course you will use Turning with.
- Click Tools from the left menu.
- Click Turning Technologies Registration Link.
- Enter your school or organization email address and click Create.
- Check your email and click the link to verify your Turning Account.
- Enter all required fields as noted by the asterisks.
- Enter and confirm your password in the fields provided.
- Click Finish.
- Click Finish again.
Adding a Course from Blackboard
- Sign into your Turning account. The Turning Web dashboard will display.
- Under Available Courses, click Connect on each course you want to sync to Turning. The courses will move to Current Courses.
Through the Blackboard integration with Turning Account you can email participants to remind that they need to create an account, register a license or a device.
- Sign in to your Turning Account. The Turning Web instructor dashboard will display.
- Locate the Course you wish to email students.
- Click View.
- Click Email Students in the upper right hand corner.
- Select desired option(s).
- Click Send.
Updating Courses from Turning Web
- Log into your Turning account. The Turning Web instructor dashboard displays.
- Locate the Course to update.
- Click View.
- Click Update Course in the right hand corner.
- Launch Turning.
Using a Downloaded Course
A course list from Turning Account can be loaded into Turning Desktop to track participant results.
- Open TurningPoint 8 and sign into your account.
- From the Polling tab, select the course and the polling environment.
- Run and save the session.
- Close the polling environment to return to the Desktop Dashboard.
Uploading Grades to Blackboard Sync
Grades can be uploaded to Blackboard directly from the course within the Manage tab.
- Open the TurningPoint 8 and sign into your account.
- Select the Manage tab.
- Select the course.
- Click Upload Grades.
- Select the grade columns you want to upload and select Upload.
If using PowerPoint Polling, the software will look like PowerPoint with the addition of a PowerPoint Cloud ribbon. This help guide provides details for setting up PowerPoint polling.
- Ask Meaningful Questions - Learn how to engage students by asking the right type of questions.
- PowerPoint Polling - Learn how to get started with PowerPoint polling
- Turning receivers are available upon request. Contact Classroom Services at 701.777.6325 to see if the room you are teaching in is set up for Turning or to request a receiver.
- Most rooms are set to use channel 41 by default. If you feel there is interference because a nearby classroom is using the same channel, contact Classroom Services using the phone on the podium or by calling 777.6325.
- After the participant list has been loaded for a course, use the update feature to pull newly added/dropped students and ResponseCard/Turning mobile information instead of loading it again. The update option can be found in the Integrations section.
- It is recommended to use 32-bit Microsoft Office with Turning Clickers. The 64-bit Microsoft Office can potentially cause issues with TurningPoint mobile working properly. If you need help with installing 32-bit Microsoft Office, please contact UND Tech Support.
Student Support: Turning Technical Support
Monday - Friday 8am - 9pm EST
The Zoom polling feature allows the meeting host/instructor to add interaction by creating single choice or multiple choice polling questions prior to meetings or class sessions. The poll can be launched during the Zoom session to gather responses from attendees. The host/instructor also has the ability to download a report of polling after the meeting. Polls can also be conducted anonymously, if you do not wish to collect participant information with the poll results.
Attendess may participate in Zoom polls using their desktop or the free Zoom mobile app for iOS or Android devices. The meeting host must use the Zoom desktop client to manage polling.