Syllabi (SYL) by CourseLeaf
CourseLeaf Syllabi (SYL) is available for use in all Blackboard courses.
CourseLeaf Syllabi (SYL) makes the creation of syllabi quick and straightforward while you effectively ensure consistent and accurate institutional syllabi policies. SYL allows you to centrally archive finished syllabi for easy search and use.
Some key benefits include:
- Make changes quickly and easily with drag-and-drop editing and content cloning
- Automatically include correct policies, course information and more.
- Lock-in mandatory text and standardize syllabi
- Give instructors flexibility and managed permissions
- View syllabi quickly and easily on any device
- Centrally store syllabi for quick and reliable access later
There are two ways to log into the SYL platform - Inside any Blackboard site or Outside of the Blackboard system.
Inside Any Blackboard Site
Faculty and staff should log in through a Blackboard site first so that your account is created with the appropriate permissions.
- Log in to Blackboard
- Choose your course from your My Course list
- Click on the Tools link in your course navigation menu
- Select CourseLeaf Syllabus - UND
Outside of the Blackboard System
- Log in to CourseLeaf Syllabus - UND
- Sign in with your NDUS.identifier (example – jane.doe)
Getting Started with Syllabus Creation
- Locate or Select your course (and appropriate section), if applicable
- Select Create Syllabus or Copy New Syllabus
Linking your Syllabus in your Blackboard Course
- From your Blackboard course menu
- Add a Tool Link in your course menu and select CourseLeaf Syllabus - UND
- Click on the Tool link to pass you through to SYL
- From within a content area
- Go into any Content Area in the course
- Select Build Content
- Select CourseLeaf Syllabus - UND
- Name the link and add other information as needed
- Click Submit
How to Find Help
View the SYL help documentation knowledge article for help information.
Why Use SYL?
Be confident all syllabi are compliant
Validate consistency and compliance across campus by defining the contents of each syllabus template, as well as determine the editing privileges of faculty who will ultimately use them. To do this, SYLLABI leverages CourseLeaf's powerful rules and filters engine to define required elements of each syllabus by attribute, meeting pattern, or other criteria. Templates may also be defined to help enforce standard presentation of information across a college, department, or institution.
Reduce faculty administrative workload
Gain a faster, easier way to build new syllabi over time using an intuitive interface that far outpaces word processing and other desktop publishing tools. SYLLABI automatically pulls in data from systems of record - including your SIS, LMS, catalog, and others - eliminating dual data entry. Each component of the syllabus is templated by campus administrators, allowing faculty to quickly edit, append, and remove elements. Since syllabi are maintained on the web, faculty no longer maintain static files on their workstations or in email, eliminating the risk of content loss or publishing legacy data.
Quick access to course content on any device
SYLLABI makes viewing content on mobile devices simple and intuitive by publishing within UND's template. Student-facing content is designed to be mobile friendly for viewing in smartphones and other small-screen devices, and accessible to WCAG 2.0 AA standards. By leveraging CourseLeaf's SAM (student aware module), students are presented with changes that have occurred since the last time they viewed the content. Students can also view syllabi from past terms as each syllabus is archived and stored permanently.